Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
I got a question for the pros Vote_lcapI got a question for the pros Voting_barI got a question for the pros Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
I got a question for the pros Vote_lcapI got a question for the pros Voting_barI got a question for the pros Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
quad crzyblondgrl disc drive globe pics louisiana stereo contest crank record 2010 broken chef silence songs world dollar Audiopipe finals Johncarr state records 80inches build kyle
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

I got a question for the pros

Go down 
+2
AceFrealy
daddy_j
6 posters
AuthorMessage
daddy_j
Above Average Contributor

Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2008-04-30

I got a question for the pros Empty
PostSubject: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 3:35 pm

I just bought and paid for this alternator below....

(FS: 200 Amp Excessive Amperage Honda CRX / Chevy S10 Alternator w/External Regulator
I extended the cord on the regulator so its about 20 feet long now so i could control voltage outside the vehicle.
only used this alternator for World finals and shortly after removed it from the crx.)

Now my question is, Im running an s10 with 4 batteries kinetiks 16v ( I know not the best) and a stock cheapy upfront for the stock electrical of the vehicle. I dont plan on hooking up the alternator to the stock battery, as this is not a daily driver. How many runs (on a budget) of 0/2 (double zero not sure how to write it) would you run from the front to the rear batts? I am running 2 rd d9s and 4 kinetik batts being all connected by buss bars. I know someone will say as many as you can, but just looking for an answer that will make it worth hooking up before Padre. And since everyone is running s10s, how should I run the wires from the front to the back. Under the vehicle or through the firewall, then after the firewall, throught the back wall? Right now I have my speaker wires go through the floor and up under the bed. Back then I didnt want anyone to say I had a blow through (even though its legal now). Oh and is it legal to not have your alt connected to the stock battery? Oh and if your reading this Brandon, you know your gonna be the one helping me do this right? Oh Im running Superstock 601-1800 this year I think. unless I can get into the 162s then I go up to unlimited with the big dogs. As things stand, Im right around 160dbs, hoping the alternator gives me a few tenths or maybe even 1 whole DB.
Back to top Go down
AceFrealy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
AceFrealy

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:19 pm

I would do 2pos and 2neg. I ran mine thru the firewall and out the back. it was how i had it on a stock build with the amps in the cab. I think there should b a better way. connecting the alt to the front battery got to watch you can only use the 16 or 12 post or it counts as two.
Back to top Go down
daddy_j

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:24 pm

yeah, thats why I wanted to run a stock battery and not even connect it to the alt, so that would be my +stock, and now we can run 6 in superstock, so I would run 6 batts in the batt connected to the alt. the one in the front just to turn the car on no alt connected to it. Thanks for the info.

Oh and when you say 2 negs,can I find a ground (frame) closer to the batterys? Or do I have to have them from the alt?
Back to top Go down
AceFrealy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
AceFrealy

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 4:39 pm

I would do to the frame also but the frame will have more resistance than the cable. I've heard the frame conducts like a piece of 4ga
Back to top Go down
daddy_j

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 5:39 pm

sorry for all the questions, just trying to do this once. So are you saying that it is better to run the ground wire from the alt all the way to the batts in the back? I thought the shorter the ground wire the better. So that the juice doesnt have to travle as far. Just trying to do it right with the least amount of wire ($$$$) that sh!t aint cheap. lol
Back to top Go down
210fordracing21
210fordracing21

Number of posts : 849
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 7:34 pm

ya you run to the frame also but with bigger wire and more runs you go front to back on the ground, but since u are not running a battery under the hood then you dont need runs of negative and ya I'll be there bro
Back to top Go down
hunterw
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
hunterw

Number of posts : 1172
Registration date : 2007-11-04

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:07 pm

id run 4 pos and 4 ground. from bat to bat from the front to the back. no other grounds. i run mine alty pos to pos fron bat and neg alt to neg front and then run 4 pos from front bat to rear bat(bank) then run 4 neg from front bat neg to rear bat(bank) neg. no other grounds. i have mine set up like that. not that means anything but i can touch my pos wires to the bed of my truck and nothing happen
Back to top Go down
210fordracing21
210fordracing21

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 9:09 pm

so no grounds to your engine or body/frame? I guess cause u dont daily yours?
Back to top Go down
daddy_j

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:23 pm

so what if my front battery is not gonna be part of the system. Im gonna leave the front battery 12 stock cheapy. Only the back will have batts connected to the system. So can I run 2 or more positives, and I guess the question is "where do I get negative from?" the alt, or the block?
Back to top Go down
210fordracing21
210fordracing21

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 11:26 pm

ya Your gunna ground to the frame acouple from the block to the back wouldnt hurt either!
Back to top Go down
SQcrewcab
SQcrewcab

Number of posts : 801
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 am

In my supermod car (2006 WF) and my ford ranger last year, I ran all wire pos to pos and neg to neg. Every time i added a ground to the frame from anywhere my voltage droped, I tried grounds from batts, from the alt, i pretty much tried it all and I would lose anywhere from .2 - .4 volts from my alt.
HUNTER can vouch for this, he seen it first hand at finals..
Back to top Go down
210fordracing21
210fordracing21

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 10:32 am

Weird but do what works right!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
robcold
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
robcold

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 12:10 pm

get to work Brandon
Back to top Go down
210fordracing21
210fordracing21

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Im making snow angels!
Back to top Go down
daddy_j

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 3:21 pm

again, sorry for the noob questions when Im not a noob, but I never ran an ext reg alt. Ok so the best option is to run a 16volt battery upfront and connect the alt to the 16 volt side and then run the car off the 12 volt side. Then from the battery in the front both + - run to the batteries in the back? It might be only one run each, because thats all the wire I have for now. Will it still help me if its only one run of + and -? Is it worth the hassle or should I wait till I have more wire.

I know by connecting the car and the 16 volt alt, that battery will be considered 2 batts.
Back to top Go down
robcold
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
robcold

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-06-06

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 3:37 pm

those are some big angels
Back to top Go down
hunterw
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
hunterw

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:35 pm

i have one run from the block to the bat
Back to top Go down
hunterw
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
hunterw

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2010 9:37 pm

daddy_j wrote:
again, sorry for the noob questions when Im not a noob, but I never ran an ext reg alt. Ok so the best option is to run a 16volt battery upfront and connect the alt to the 16 volt side and then run the car off the 12 volt side. Then from the battery in the front both + - run to the batteries in the back? It might be only one run each, because thats all the wire I have for now. Will it still help me if its only one run of + and -? Is it worth the hassle or should I wait till I have more wire.

I know by connecting the car and the 16 volt alt, that battery will be considered 2 batts.

well i dont know if you can run a 16v under the hood. unless its a dual post kinetik. then if your running that id still run a few runs from the front to back to help charge your back bank.
Back to top Go down
AceFrealy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
AceFrealy

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2010 2:16 pm

The neg just put it under one of your alternator mounting bolts. You won't have to connect it to the front battery just have to stick a charger on the front one or run two alternators. As far as # of runs and if your running double 0 ga two runs would do good. regular 0ga I would do 4. Just plain for how many you you want to make. Cut enough or big enough holes for fhat # and add when you get the money. By your discreption of your setup i would say the first run (pos and neg) would help you hold a extra .5v each aditional will be less. My guess is that would work out to a couple tenths
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I got a question for the pros   I got a question for the pros Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I got a question for the pros
Page 1 of 1