Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
noise floor during SQ judging Vote_lcapnoise floor during SQ judging Voting_barnoise floor during SQ judging Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
noise floor during SQ judging Vote_lcapnoise floor during SQ judging Voting_barnoise floor during SQ judging Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
record louisiana contest stereo globe 2010 world Johncarr finals songs kyle Audiopipe dollar silence pics build crzyblondgrl disc chef drive broken crank state records quad 80inches
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

noise floor during SQ judging

Go down 
+2
Matt_Sibley
Dave Brooks
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave Brooks
Dave Brooks

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-06-25

noise floor during SQ judging Empty
PostSubject: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 9:48 pm

What should I do to my tune for SQ judging when I know there are SPL folks tuning their gear nearby when I get judged? Should I do anything?

My fear is that I'll have the best tune I can get that day and it will be negated by the SPL folks during judging... or do the judges have the ability to take this into consideration?

I felt sorry for Rick Sellers at Scrapin' on accounta my doors were flexing from a seriously awesome SPL guy who was troubleshooting his setup about 30 feet away... while Rick was in the booth getting judged.
I was far more fortunate, the floor noise was next to nothing while my truck was in the booth.

Mind you, I'm not complaining. I love the SPL stuff (Thinking about sinking a pair of 18's in the floor later this summer, just for the fun of it... and seeing what SPL class I can play in along with SQ...) I just want to be able to compensate if it's necessary.

Your thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Matt_Sibley
Above Average Contributor
Above Average Contributor

Number of posts : 957

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 10:19 pm

I took into consideration the noise floor. I was still able to hear Rick's setup in between burps from the vehicles nearby. I know the rain delayed things slightly and you guys had to clean some before coming through the lanes but the noise issue is why I asked everyone for SQ to be there at 8AM so that we could get judging done before all of the noise started. Things just didnt work out though with the weather for everyone to be there early. I know 8AM is an early start time following the late night many of us had saturday night but it was the only time at the show I figured would be relatively quiet.

The only other suggestion I could make is to sound deaden your vehicle even more than it already is. I can attest that when listening to Gary's car at finals a few years back there was very little audible noise in his car even though the noise floor in the arena was enough for some to be walking around with ear plugs in Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.us.airliquide.com
Jan Bennett
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor

Number of posts : 279
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 10:19 pm

the thing is, at finals, just about everyone will have to deal with the noise floor. if you go to shows all year long, you'll probably have to deal with the noise floor as well.

tune your car to the best of it's ability. When you get to finals, listen.

If the judges are making their way towards your car and the noise floor is up there, then adjust. If the noise floor isn't up there, then leave it.

Have a map or a plan to adjust the bass settings accordingly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mj-garage.com
bmuhammad1
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 10:47 pm

I understand whats being said but really though...should an SQ competitor have to do this. Could it be possible to give a certain time when SQ cars are judged and then allow time for SPL vehicles to tune and then judge the SPL vehicles? I really think that judging SQ cars during SPL vehicles burping is not good...I mean really. If the sound of a vehicle can be compromised by relay clicks shouldnt a 30hz burp compromise the sound of the SQ vehicle as well
Back to top Go down
Jan Bennett
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 10:54 pm

Hasn't this same topic been discussed for literally YEARS?

Short of judging SQ cars at night (as in 8pm - 6am), there's simply no way to have NO noise floor.

Do that and we all know SQ competitors would never show up durring the day to show their cars. If you don't have people showing their cars, the sport dies and no one get's interested. If no one is showing their cars, why would anyone want to pay to get in to ONLY see SPL cars and SPL runs?

It's just the nature of the game.

It's like complaining about rain outs in baseball. Move the season to the dry months and people will complain about it being too hot or too cold, etc.

IMO, what seperates people out is who can tune to their surroundings and deal with it and who can't.

It's all a part of the game.
Back to top Go down
Dave Brooks
Dave Brooks

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 11:10 pm

BMuhammad1 - I don't know if it's common, but at Scrapin', the judges opened the lanes to SQ bright and early at 8 AM to try and get us into the lanes before the morning belches... I have no excuse really. It rained that morning for about ten minutes, so out of paranoia, I decided to wipe the whole truck down again. I was also stalling with my fingers crossed for a USACi disc since I had joined the day before. Rick Sellers came to my rescue while I was in the lane... LOL, I didn't change a thing... all that worry for nothing Embarassed

Matt - Not calling you out at all there... kinda cool that you would wait for the burps to subside (especially in the heat and humidity). You've answered my question if that's what judges are trained to do. Thanks Very Happy
Certainly never hurts to dampen more. Well, except for the last truck I played with. Kind of overdid that one, it was almost airtight... whoops... Embarassed

Hi Jan! (I remember you from SBN... you explained the RTO concerns to me at the competitor meeting... thank you) I take your point about the prevalence for SPL, and I'm cool with it... I reckon what I'm really asking is "where" to adjust when necessary. SPL vehicles negate pretty much my entire midbass/subbass region.

If it's a trade secret, don't let it out on my account. I'll get it over time Very Happy

Edit - Jan I didn't realize this topic has been discussed for years... I'm still new to competition. Sorry if I've peeled a scab here.
Back to top Go down
Jan Bennett
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeSun Jul 01, 2007 11:21 pm

Nah - I don't consider it a trade secret as there isn't really one thing that everyone can do to negate it.

Sound deadening is crucial here. In the GTi, we have to be sure to not try and shut both doors at the same time. If the hatch is the only thing open, when we close it, you'll see the sunroof move from the air moving.

The judges do open the lanes early at most every show and I guess that's one of the reasons I don't mind going early at all....well, one of the reasons.

A good judge will overlook it and a properly damped car will cut back on it a significant amount.

Most of the time, we just ramp up the sub bass a db or two when we're experiencing a noise floor issue.
Back to top Go down
Iron Maiden
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Iron Maiden

Number of posts : 331

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 6:32 am

I guess I am fortunate to be an early riser. I ran at 8am and you still beat me Razz Razz I went to an indoor show in Jackson, MS. Talk about noise. Rolling Eyes When Rick and (name escapes me) his friend were sitting in the yukon I remember it finally making me Evil or Very Mad I remember saying crap I cant hear myself think affraid I can remeber it not even bothering Rick as I am sure he is used to it. Hopefully I will as well. Hope to see ya soon Dave. I may be going to Audio Designs of Atlanta this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Jan Bennett
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 10:44 am

Usually - if there are people inside that are competing in SQ, they will either tell you to get there REALLY early or to hand around after the show has closed down so they can judge without all of the noise that goes on inside a venue.
Back to top Go down
bmuhammad1
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 12:54 pm

I understand what your saying Jan but rain is a natural phenomenon...you cant control that variable. But SPL vehicles can be controlled. IMO I dont know if most judges account for this...and if they do what SHOWS me that a judge has taken that into account. I cant just assume that a judge will take this into account. Different judging times...seperate chambers...etc Im sure could be used while judging SQ cars
Back to top Go down
Dave Brooks
Dave Brooks

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 6:46 pm

Wait a minute Ironmaiden... I beat you? I didn't realize we were in a class together. For some reason I got the notion you were a couple classes "above" me...

I better start taking some ginko biloba or geritol or something pale

Jan - Any air conditioning issues with that much sound proofing? I had my old toyota so airtight and dampened that I had to crack the windows just to get the AC to cool the truck... if that makes any sense...
Tell you what though, I could put huge power on the speakers and they didn't distort at all. I think the inside was acting almost like a sealed enclosure. Different story with the windows open though... everything flopped like a fish under high power... LOL
Back to top Go down
Jan Bennett
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 6:59 pm

nope - no issues with AC

Smile

That's why you leave those vents at the back of hte car open.
Back to top Go down
Dave Brooks
Dave Brooks

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 7:04 pm

Jan Bennett wrote:
nope - no issues with AC

Smile

That's why you leave those vents at the back of hte car open.

Yeah, you guessed it. The vents were inside of a blind double wall and I got a little carried away with the expanding foam... LOL I eventually took an afternoon and located them to dig them back out... way fun!
Back to top Go down
Iron Maiden
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Iron Maiden

Number of posts : 331

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 7:21 pm

Dave Brooks wrote:
Wait a minute Ironmaiden... I beat you? I didn't realize we were in a class together. For some reason I got the notion you were a couple classes "above" me...

I better start taking some ginko biloba or geritol or something pale

Jan - Any air conditioning issues with that much sound proofing? I had my old toyota so airtight and dampened that I had to crack the windows just to get the AC to cool the truck... if that makes any sense...
Tell you what though, I could put huge power on the speakers and they didn't distort at all. I think the inside was acting almost like a sealed enclosure. Different story with the windows open though... everything flopped like a fish under high power... LOL

Pass it down bro I aint no spring chicken Laughing I fell behind for a while. I had a Chevy Tahoe prior to the yukon and it was smashed into by a careless driver. Thank GOD he had insurance. I am going to make a few changes, little better speaker placement, More sound deadning and then take it all out and put in a BMW 325I Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dave Brooks
Dave Brooks

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeMon Jul 02, 2007 7:55 pm

ironmaiden wrote:

Pass it down bro I aint no spring chicken Laughing I fell behind for a while. I had a Chevy Tahoe prior to the yukon and it was smashed into by a careless driver. Thank GOD he had insurance. I am going to make a few changes, little better speaker placement, More sound deadning and then take it all out and put in a BMW 325I Very Happy

And then I'm thinking you're gonna take it out on ME and stomp a SQ mudhole in my chest for beating you while you were down Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
SoundoffFocus
SoundoffFocus

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-07-15

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitimeMon Jul 16, 2007 12:39 am

I was tuning for RTA ( this was over 10 years ago) using Tyrone Chestnuts AC. The bass was way high so I naturally turned my bass down. Come SPL time I didn't do squat. The noise floor was so high it affected my readings. Yeah It does affect SQ

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: noise floor during SQ judging   noise floor during SQ judging Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

noise floor during SQ judging
Page 1 of 1