Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Can an astro tow an astro Vote_lcapCan an astro tow an astro Voting_barCan an astro tow an astro Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
Can an astro tow an astro Vote_lcapCan an astro tow an astro Voting_barCan an astro tow an astro Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
dollar kyle drive build quad crzyblondgrl silence broken louisiana chef songs crank record Audiopipe Johncarr state pics world 80inches 2010 stereo finals contest records disc globe
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Can an astro tow an astro

Go down 
+9
aho77
poundstone
charlesestes
The_Rowlands
sanman
supadave
Alan
89max
eloudazztro91
13 posters
AuthorMessage
eloudazztro91
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
eloudazztro91

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Can an astro tow an astro Empty
PostSubject: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 3:00 am

I just bought a 99' Astro and was wondering if it has the tow capacity to tow my 91' Astro. I know this depends on the total weights, which I don't know off hand, but if anyone has done it lemme know. My 99' is the extended body 8 passenger all windows. All seats in with some stereo weight too. My 91' is the shorty, all metal panels, walled at B pillar. Approximately 1000-1200 over stock weight. Don't have a trailer but I'm hoping to borrow a buddy's. If this seems like a stupid idea feel free to tell me so because honestly this scenario would be last resort. I've got a friend with the truck to do it for sure, but Im not sure he really wants to spend the time cause he's got a newborn and he's always workin n stuff. Oh and it's only about a 1.25 hour drive normal driving conditions.
Back to top Go down
89max
89max

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 3:34 am

eloudazztro91 wrote:
I just bought a 99' Astro and was wondering if it has the tow capacity to tow my 91' Astro. I know this depends on the total weights, which I don't know off hand, but if anyone has done it lemme know. My 99' is the extended body 8 passenger all windows. All seats in with some stereo weight too. My 91' is the shorty, all metal panels, walled at B pillar. Approximately 1000-1200 over stock weight. Don't have a trailer but I'm hoping to borrow a buddy's. If this seems like a stupid idea feel free to tell me so because honestly this scenario would be last resort. I've got a friend with the truck to do it for sure, but Im not sure he really wants to spend the time cause he's got a newborn and he's always workin n stuff. Oh and it's only about a 1.25 hour drive normal driving conditions.

i would say yes go ahead an try it.also take it easy and make sure the other person is knowing how to be pulled and know what they are doing.
Back to top Go down
eloudazztro91
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
eloudazztro91

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 3:46 am

I'm not talking about tow rope here. No one would be in the towed 91'. It would be on a car trailer. So add something like 1500 to 2000 lbs for that. Correct me if I'm wrong on that estimate. All in all I'm thinkin it'll be about 6000 lbs+ towed weight.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

Number of posts : 3897
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeFri Jul 01, 2011 10:01 am

I would just be worried because my daily driver gets wobbly sometimes going down the hwy ...I couldn't imagine it with a trailer .. its a scary thought. I used to tow my caravan with my explorer. That dang thing got crazy on the trailer ..transfered the wobble to the trailer...then to the explorer..then to to the ditch on the side of the hwy lol. Im just saying ..it could be scary. Maybe a dokky would be a better choice? I dunno
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

Number of posts : 3745
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 6:58 am

with a dolly wouldn't he have to take out the drive shaft with those van's being rear wheel drive. if i am right.
Back to top Go down
eloudazztro91
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
eloudazztro91

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 1:40 am

no dolly. car trailer. locked down. no tires turning. 0 miles on 91' van in transit. It sounds like I've got a buddy who will do it with the car trailer. He's got a 06' HD Sierra. So no problem there. I guess I was basically asking if anyone has attempted this in the past. It appears that would be a no as far as this forum is concerned so I will not be risking this. thanks for the input guys.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Number of posts : 12087
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 11:22 am

nope i towed panky from st loui to junction city ks about 360 miles on a dolly with drive shaft in man

stick her in neutral and walla
Back to top Go down
The_Rowlands
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
The_Rowlands

Number of posts : 7398
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 7:30 pm

i dont know jeff i think ya got lucky .....i towed my s10 with drive shaft in and tranny blew up about 50 miles into trip ...
Back to top Go down
eloudazztro91
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
eloudazztro91

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeSun Jul 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Ok so it sounds like maybe the dolly thing would work but the problem is I don't have one, nor do I have access to one. The easiest thing for me is going to be just pull er up on the trailer and reverse the process. I know that dropping the driveshaft isn't difficult but that's still more work than just going from P to D to P and P to R to P. I don't wanna risk blowing up my new daily driver either, so.....

So will I see any of you guys in Perryville Missouri for the regionals event August 28th?
Back to top Go down
charlesestes
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
charlesestes

Number of posts : 1009
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 4:05 am

Team420 towed their streetmax astro from new hampshire to daytona and every other trip jesse made w it being towed by another astro if I recall. Ive towed w mine many times bedore but never another van. I did tlw my probe on a car hauler w my astro . I say go for I tg just ma,e sure ur weight is cengered or it will cause u to sway
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 4:09 am

Thought you retired? I see havebt been practicing your typing either ... Mad
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2010-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 8:15 am

we are having a couple shows here in springfield this year hit me up if u want more info as i diont see them on the website!
Back to top Go down
aho77
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
aho77

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 10:07 am

if you town it with the van you will have to do it in drive not over drive it will burn up the tranny unless you put external coolers on it and not includding the one in the radiator some pull better than others and ya not pulling the drive shaft will burn it up to if yo dolly it
Back to top Go down
http://www.ahoaudio.com
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 11:27 am

wrong i just told you guys i towed 400 miles with it in neutral, and didnt kill the tranny

this was at 85mph with my bmw x5 as well

and funny thing is i still got 25mpg lol
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 2:08 pm

Jeff i believe the effects are long term. Not that it tears something up the first time. But ive known people who do it both ways. I personally would put it in nuetral..if its a spl van that dont run good enough to drive.. then i dont see the big deal
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 3:14 pm

ok here is what happens when its running you have a pump inside the tranny that circulates oil in certain models not all

dependant on what year you have this may or may not be an issue

neutral is thye only way to do it unless you pull the drive shaft

funny thing is i googled the year and model of panky before i did it to ee if it was an issue or not and well google gave me the answer that way i didnt have to rely on people opinions that didnt know what the hell they were talking about

have a great day
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
Above Average Contributor
twentyhurtz

Number of posts : 914
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 4:48 pm

I know this may not be a fair comparison, but when i used to be an electricians helper, i would drive my van (05 Ford E350 turbo diesel) and pull a 16 ft car trailer that had a scissor lift on it. The van was completely loaded down and I'm no sure what a scissor lift weights, but the bases of them are extremely heavy. Anyways, never had much of an issue.
Back to top Go down
XFL-Leader
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
XFL-Leader

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 10:09 am

I used the '87 astro van to pull the '93 astro that competed in Mod 901-1800. The van only weighed 7000-7500 lbs. We added a transmission cooler and heavy duty shocks to the tow vehichle.
Back to top Go down
2003f150
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
2003f150

Number of posts : 2610
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 11:43 am

Nine times out of ten the tranny will burn up or get damage from towing it with drive shaft in.....I work at a transmission shop and we see this often.....epecially bigger trucks with standards. Automatics are not as finicky as a standard but if it was mine I would either have the pulling wheels off the ground or the drive shaft out.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 12:20 pm

or van running and it neutra so the transmission pump id pumping lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Has anybody put the rear wheels on a dolly before? Thought about doing this with my S-10 so I don't have to use a car trailer.

My only concern is the steering lock breaking which would let the wheels turn.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 12:27 pm

i used a tow bar and a dolly for my s10, and the tranny still worked like a charm in fact with the tow bar i would cruise near 90mph towing it lol
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

Number of posts : 914
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 12:33 pm

just put some wheel dollies under the back tires.. 5" casters can handle 70 mph on the interstate.. it will be ok Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 1:06 pm

sanman wrote:
i used a tow bar and a dolly for my s10, and the tranny still worked like a charm in fact with the tow bar i would cruise near 90mph towing it lol

Yeah, as this thread has shown, it seems to be mixed results with towing in neutral.

My S-10 has 330,000 miles on the trans, so I don't want to take that risk. lol.
Back to top Go down
eloudazztro91
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
eloudazztro91

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeTue Jul 05, 2011 1:07 pm

XFL-Leader wrote:
I used the '87 astro van to pull the '93 astro that competed in Mod 901-1800. The van only weighed 7000-7500 lbs. We added a transmission cooler and heavy duty shocks to the tow vehichle.

This is the reply I was really looking for. thank you. I'm still not going to take any chances being that this is my only daily driver(which I just bought) and my buddy will be available to do it with his HD Sierra. Im trying not to dump money into my new dd till I get the spl van totally ready. I know the heavy duty shocks and tranny cooler aren't that expensive but I still have a lot of work to do on the spl van, and my stereo budget these days is TIGHT. I wish I made more money cause this sport is hella expensive, but too much fun and exciting to quit. Same reason I can't buy a dolly. I can borrow the car trailers but i don't know anyone with a dolly. But for future reference I know what that entails if I were to use a dolly.

To Ryan: man I wish i could make your shows but unfortunately the regional in Perryville will prolly be my only comp this year due to funding. But hopefully I'll see you in Pville. I see your numbers have been going up so I look forward to seeing what you're gonna do next. And hopefully you won't be seeing me compete with a blown sub this time. Shootin for 155+ if all goes well.
Back to top Go down
Nice
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Nice

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 9:48 pm

charlesestes wrote:
Team420 towed their streetmax astro from new hampshire to daytona and every other trip jesse made w it being towed by another astro if I recall.
They towed with a full size Blazer IIRC.
I've owned Astros and I wouldn't chance it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can an astro tow an astro   Can an astro tow an astro Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can an astro tow an astro
Page 1 of 1