Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Intro SQ Class Vote_lcapIntro SQ Class Voting_barIntro SQ Class Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
finals chef silence louisiana Johncarr records crank build Audiopipe pics kyle quad contest songs drive state globe record 80inches crzyblondgrl world disc 2010 broken stereo dollar
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Intro SQ Class

Go down 
+9
genxx
jkrob21
OnYrMrk
MAGNATUDE
BBGIC
SQLAltima
tijuana_no
jsketoe
Monte B.
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Monte B.
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 9:45 am

I'm putting this post in this subforum because I figured it would get better visibility than in the Rules section.

I was looking at the Intro SQ class rules and scoresheet the other day and was baffled by the sound portion of the judging.

I understand the intent of the Intro class, and believe it has a place in this organization, but follow me on this....

The SQ portion of the scoresheet only contains 2 aspects of SQ:
Staging - does it sound like the music is coming from in front of you, all around you, behind you?
Width - does the sound come from beyond the pillars, at the pillars, inside the pillars?

Where is Definition and Clarity, or overall Sound Quality? Does it not matter if a kick drum sounds like a plastic trash barrel, or if a trumpet sounds like a kazoo?

I would think that if the Intro class was going to point out to new competitors the most important aspects of SQ it would be trying to achieve an overall nicely balanced realistic sound.

If USACi would add a couple of more sections to the Intro scoresheet, it would also reduce the 5-way ties for first place that always seem to happen at the large shows.

The Intro scoresheet is just too basic as it is. I don't think by adding a couple of important areas would run off any new potential competitors. And it would give the Intro competitors a little idea of what to accomplish before moving up to a much more detailed Intermediate class.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mj-garage.com
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2007-06-23

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 12:53 pm

I think a 0-3 Overall SQ would be a nice add.
Back to top Go down
tijuana_no
Above Average Contributor
tijuana_no

Number of posts : 709
Registration date : 2007-09-12

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeSun May 24, 2009 3:39 pm

agree
Back to top Go down
SQLAltima
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2008-11-13

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:09 pm

With the intro rules you don't even need a real front stage. Just tweeters in the sail panels run off HU power.

Then some subs for the SPL portion.

Everything else will just hurt you in that class.

It needs more than a 0-3 for SQ. It needs to have some of the basic things of SQ competition--Imaging (true imaging--left, right, center). It needs an actual tonality breakdown subbass, midbass, midrange, highs.

With the current rules and with an "overall SQ" category there is no way to get better in that class. The Overall SQ category would only help competitors if judges wrote a page and half of details about the system that got you back to a real scoresheet. Which they won't do. So if you got a 2 in "overall SQ"---what do you work on? You are telling the most basic SQ competitors nothing, but wanting them to advance to classes with real SQ. Doesn't work.

With the current system you are basically hoping for a tie and that you have a wall of 15's.
Back to top Go down
BBGIC
Big Bald Guy in Charge
Big Bald Guy in Charge
BBGIC

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 4:29 pm

And this is where the advanced sheet started! Why don't we add......

Want more? Got to intermediate.
Back to top Go down
http://www.soundoff.org
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 5:49 pm

LOL
let's just take intro out of finals the way it was intended then.
Back to top Go down
tijuana_no
tijuana_no

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 6:28 pm

i agree that the score sheet could use a bit more , but i think that having intro . in the finals is a good idea . if the competitor is serious about competing finals will give him a good idea what to do for the next season.
Back to top Go down
Monte B.
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 9:21 pm

I would like to see this discussed at a member's meeting before the beginning of next season. I'm not asking to make Intro harder because I don't think we need to scare people away.

My concern is that the current judging criteria does not reflect the bare essentials of SOUND QUALITY competition. Sure someone could just not care about competing in Intro and go straight to Consumer Q. But then with the first step out of the box being thrown into a class with cars built like Sketoe's, Lou's, Juan's, etc? Let's be realistic here...

What Andy mentioned about having just tweets in the sail panels is exactly what I was thinking. Maybe I'll talk a friend of mine into competing with just that in Intro and see how it goes over.

I'm not trying to stir the pot, only making a valid observation to a lack of required detail in a very basic class. Why should the installation portion of the scoresheet in Intro have 7 sections, but sound only has 2? And SPL used to break a tie instead of any importance given to actual SOUND QUALITY?

Just give equal importance to sound quality as is done with installation in this class. Maybe something like this?:
Width 1-3 pts
Depth 1-3 pts
Height 1-3 pts
Spectral balance 1-5 pts
Overall sound quality 1-10 pts

Like I said, I don't expect any changes during the year; but maybe some consideration before next year.
Back to top Go down
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Wanna win intro?
mid and tweet in the pillar midbass in the door, or everything in the door...no rear speakers what so ever and let her rip a 150db on a termlab. Bolt everything down and make her safe and secure.
Back to top Go down
MAGNATUDE
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
MAGNATUDE

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2007-11-08

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2009 7:59 pm

It's the perfect class for any Usaci Veteran
currently doing SPL or Street Beat who
wants to try their skills in SQ.

.....afterall, they have mids
and tweets in their cars too.

(9/34)
Back to top Go down
BBGIC
Big Bald Guy in Charge
Big Bald Guy in Charge
BBGIC

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 11:42 am

MAGNATUDE wrote:

(9/34)

Yes it is......
Back to top Go down
SQLAltima
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 4:17 pm

jsketoe wrote:
Wanna win intro?
mid and tweet in the pillar midbass in the door, or everything in the door...no rear speakers what so ever and let her rip a 150db on a termlab. Bolt everything down and make her safe and secure.

Why wou;d you bother with a midrange and midbass?

Move the tweeters to the sail panels to give you more width. Angle them slightly and you will have depth. Use the HU power to make wiring easier---so the scoring is done easier.

The put 2 15's in an enclosure in the rear tuned high to make it efficient. A big class D amp and walk away. Off for "SQ" judging. On for SPL judging.

Tweets and subs---I seriously wouldn't bother with anything else.

If you don't like how tweets sound, put a small midrange in the sail panels. Either a 2" or 3" (I wouldn't spend more than $10 a piece for them). That's it--but get it outside the apillars so you have some width.

I would never waste the time with a 3 way in that class. To many things that could hurt you on install. Same deal with putting an amp on the front speakers. Wouldn't bother--something else to jack up install with.
Back to top Go down
OnYrMrk
OnYrMrk

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Sometimes Andy you scare me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scentsy.com/wallis
jkrob21
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
jkrob21

Number of posts : 1476
Registration date : 2007-06-25

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 7:06 pm

jsketoe wrote:
Wanna win intro?

Very similar to what I did in 06. LOL However I used mid and tweet in the kick with a tweet in the pillar.

I remember an install judge making a decision that I didn't agree with that year. It wasn't on my install but another guys. He gave a 0 on processor mounting because he didn't see a "processor" in the car. This particular car had a small amount of processing built into the HU and I felt it should have been counted as such.

Sorry I got kinda off topic there. I like your idea Monte. There should be a little more detail in "sound" on the intro sheet. I don't know how many times I maxxed out that sheet my first year. Then after I moved up a class everything changed and I haven't been able to take a 1st at finals since. I've been stuck in a 3rd plce rut for a few years now. lol But I'm not complaining. It could be worse!
Back to top Go down
Monte B.
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeFri May 29, 2009 8:55 pm

jkrob21 wrote:
I remember an install judge making a decision that I didn't agree with that year. It wasn't on my install but another guys. He gave a 0 on processor mounting because he didn't see a "processor" in the car. This particular car had a small amount of processing built into the HU and I felt it should have been counted as such.

You bring up a good point here: How should a judge score something on the scoresheet that doesn't exist in the car?

Not giving points because of the lack of some kind of processor is like telling a novice competitor "sorry...you need to go spend more money".
Back to top Go down
genxx
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2009-05-26

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:08 am

I agree with Monte.

Intro needs something and I like Montes' idea. This is a SQ based class but to win you need to do a 140 or better on a termlab.

Are we doing SQ or SPL. We already have classes for both so let's keep it that way.

Just by adding Height and Spectral Balance would probably do away with needing to do SPL in most cases. Also why not add a 3 min brief your vehicle with the option to have a picture book as 3 to 5 bonus points.

You can only compete in intro one season IIRC so lets set people up for success later on instead of the shock when they move up.

I really do not like this comment:

Should the Veteran SPL guys even be allowed to compete in Intro? They have already been a active competitor period.IMO

Are we trying to get the SPL guys to switch over with the Intro class or get people started in SQ?
Back to top Go down
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 10:43 am

I feel that Monte, Andy, and my point was well proven at TSS.
Back to top Go down
genxx
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 11:52 am

jsketoe wrote:
my point was well proven at TSS.

John you point was very well proven. What a lesson I learned at TSS about the intro class. Really not the place I wanted to learn it but much better than learning it at Finals.

Thanks for all the help at TSS John, I really appreciate it.

Brian
Back to top Go down
SQLAltima
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 12:48 pm

did someone compete with just tweeters? Laughing
Back to top Go down
BBGIC
Big Bald Guy in Charge
Big Bald Guy in Charge
BBGIC

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 1:50 pm

Intro is a little too light on sound and that will be addressed. SPL will stay the tiebreaker and Install will stay basic. We need intro to STAY INTRO. You make it competitive and it will be like Street Beat, designed for beginners and dominated by veterans.
Back to top Go down
genxx
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 1:59 pm

No not just tweeters. It does appear you could and be succesful or just run a widebander like the HAT L4 only. Get the aiming right just for width, super simple install that keeps the KISS principle and be able to do a 145 or better on the TL and your a top competitor in intro.

Problem is the next year when you cannot figure out why you are getting killed when you move up in classes or have to redo an entire build because you are not set-up to do anything other than intro.IMO
Back to top Go down
SQLAltima
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 3:02 pm

If you really have any desire at all in the SQ world, I would not waste time competing in Intro. It is wasted time and money for anyone that cares about SQ. Just move into intermediate. The install section is simple. Then you get to focus on SQ.

You also don't have to waste time, money and equipment to do SPL at that level just to move to intermediate next year and have to pull all that $hit out.

until intro is redone, I'd just leave it to SPL guys and manufacturers looking for artificial world final trophies.
Back to top Go down
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 3:27 pm

I encourage all intro cars to step up to Intermediate. Brian...as good as your truck sounded after Scott got done with it this weekend...really, expecially with what you discussed doing, I'd go Intermediate.

The truck that won was very solidly built. Mids and tweets...sub off behind the seat, and let it rock. Basically, it's simple, Turn the sub off, make the sound go outside into the side mirrors and keep all the info in front of you. Her and her dad did that very well. I told them both that they were doing an intro vehicle very well for the intro class. That is 100%. If she decides to move up, she has a very solid base and I really feel it will only take tuning....Tim gave them pointers on install. Great folks!
Back to top Go down
Jan Bennett
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor

Number of posts : 279

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 6:10 pm

SQLAltima wrote:
If you really have any desire at all in the SQ world, I would not waste time competing in Intro. It is wasted time and money for anyone that cares about SQ.

That's assuming that you're setting out to build a car to compete.

Not all people out there are like this..for instance...Nicole.

Her truck was built THEN she decided that she wanted to compete. The intro class was designed SPECIFICALLY for folks like her.

The intro class was NOT designed for people to build a car TO compete then go compete in the intro class.

Now in saying this I know I'm going to step on some toes...but...I'm going to say it anyways...

If you're building a car SPECIFICALLY to compete and you're entering the INTRO class...grow some nuts and step up. flower

You've already taken the first step, commit yourself and show your dedication at least a little bit. Smile
Back to top Go down
BARTMAN

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 6:55 pm

My Daughter Nicole had a great time and now is a full tilt addict for SQ. We met some great people and got great advise.

It was a great show and the quality of judges were great. And they all were very nice and were more than willing to help Q&A.

The rules could use a bit more in the sound area. I do think that the install needs to stay the same because most people off the street that might want to compete should at least have the basics of the install work done already. Then they could here from the judges as far as SQ goes.
Back to top Go down
PerformanceTyler
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
PerformanceTyler

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 8:31 pm

I agree with Jan. I built one of the cars that was in intro and it was not built for intro I thought that at this show he was going to move up to intermediate but he said he didnt have his photo book done yet. Intro class was not supposed to be a class that cars were built to compete in they were for cars like the young lady that won this weekend, the only reason there is a pro intro is for people that meet the requrements to compete pro but have never competed before.
Back to top Go down
tijuana_no
tijuana_no

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 12:14 am

tijuana_no wrote:
i agree that the score sheet could use a bit more , but i think that having intro . in the finals is a good idea . if the competitor is serious about competing finals will give him a good idea what to do for the next season.

i brought my quote up again , cause what you guys are saying in the last 4 post is what i was trying to say in my own simple words.lol

nicole's , truck is a good example of this class and a show like this was of great
help to her . it helps in making your next step decisions a bit easier and that is the propose of this class.
Back to top Go down
nicole22mg
nicole22mg

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-06-09

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeWed Jun 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Hey everyone! I had a great time a TSS and learned ALOT. All the judges were very helpful and gave me lots of tips and pointers! TSS was my first show and It was a great experience everyone welcomed me with open arms. A huge thanks to MontE (lol), Jan, Nick, the judges and everyone who was part of the show. Since TSS I have become completely addicted!

~Nicole
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/nicole22mg
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2009 7:47 am

Great!
Keep it up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Intro SQ Class Empty
PostSubject: Re: Intro SQ Class   Intro SQ Class Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Intro SQ Class
Page 1 of 1