Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Vote_lcapJust good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Voting_barJust good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Vote_lcapJust good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Voting_barJust good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
world contest records drive kyle louisiana build crzyblondgrl 2010 silence stereo Johncarr broken quad pics state 80inches crank songs finals dollar chef Audiopipe record disc globe
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.

Go down 
+8
zacdavis
mschwitz
Alan_Hall
Ultrasubs
idbl_fanatic
dbracer79
sanman
jkrob21
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
jkrob21
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
jkrob21

Number of posts : 1476
Registration date : 2007-06-25

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Empty
PostSubject: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 10:11 pm

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Check these out. I don't think you guys will be dissapointed.

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Ultrasubs005

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Ultrasubs004

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Ultrasubs003

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Ultrasubs002

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Ultrasubs001

I am in the process of testing these subs. Let me know if anyone is interested in the results. They have already set a world record in another org.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Number of posts : 12087
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 10:46 pm

very comparable to the old Kove armagedeons man i had some and liked them
Back to top Go down
dbracer79
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
dbracer79

Number of posts : 1086
Registration date : 2007-06-28

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 09, 2008 10:58 pm

Too pricey John.They are charging $900 for the 15". It's a effecient woofer under low power. Memphis m3 are close to the specs.
Let us know how the test goes.
Back to top Go down
idbl_fanatic
Above Average Contributor
idbl_fanatic

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 12:48 am

Or I am sure that he will say that a chemical in the glue or something was not made here.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Number of posts : 12087
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 1:11 am

or they were designed by him while wearing them trifocal glasses that his erkle pooter has

"did I do that"
Back to top Go down
Ultrasubs
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Ultrasubs

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2008-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 2:33 am

Hey John, thanks for inviting me in.
I'll post who I am and where I came from.

I started in the 12 volt industry ( professionally) in 1988, I was at that point hookin up all the local cars and before that and working for my cousin in the summer from when I was 12, back when Jensen Tri-axials and Alpine "8-cubes" ruled .
I started out just like anybody else in the business, installing and having fun.
I became the shop general manager at 19, (1991) that was at Charlie's Car Stereo in Staten Island NY.
I than went to work at Soundsation in 1993 and my boss sold me the store in 1995.
My big break was in 1994, that is when I met Dave Gumienny and Bart Deal who at the time worked for PPI. They got me involved in the early pre-production design of the "real" PPI flat piston subs.
After that we became friends. Then I went out to AZ and visited and became very good friends with Kevin Campbell also, one of the original partners at Rockford and then the VP of PPI.
Dave and Bart were like having big brothers and Kevin is like my second Dad, They are all now at Kicker, they have been together for years and make a killer team.

As for some of my other good friends in the 12 family, I should mention another well respected good friend who has helped me a lot in giving me support and advice, a fellow Greek Demitrios Karabinis, the owner of Arc Audio that I consider a member of my family. We displayed the Ultra Charger at their booth at the 2006 SEMA show and did multiple Demo cars together. You can check them out at www.RobIdaconcepts.com , look at the Challenger and 1949 Caddy that were also at the 2007 SEMA show as well.
A little note: I love Arc audio's products, they are one of only one or two manufacturers that didn't "sell-out" and their products reflect the mentality of ever moving forward stride towards making quality products. As long as they are around I won't have to make amps too.

Well as far as getting back to my PPI friends, what they did was get me involved in the pre-production stage and I got to "learn the ropes" of what was involved in getting a new product together.
All the things I learned from them, especially Dave and Bart in engineering was priceless.
The early PPI woofers were still rough form when I got them so much of my design changes and input were applied to the final product, especially in assembly and keeping them reliable.
Well I went on to designing other subs and many never had seen production because PPI later fell apart.
Well I will skip many years in between ( if you guys didn't fall asleep yet).
Some time around 1999-2000 we were selling a "high end" brand in my retail store and some $1000.00 a piece subs were blowing up left and right.
Then my wife stepped in and said exactly: "You idiot, you designed so many speakers for other people......why not make your own?".
Right then and there the road to what is now ULTRA was born.
Well what I learned from the days with PPI helped because at one point Kevin told me to check out various assembly houses on the "down-low" to see he would be most capable of putting the PPI subs together (back in 1996), so I called and got samples ranging from dumpster material from all and one persons company stood out and that is who I called to use their production line.
Well we got off to a good start and I got to designing a sub the best I knew how. With encouragement from Kevin who was at Morel at the time I got going.
My subs were all mine from the ground up but they had a blank dust cover, my customers loved them , especially the guy who was blowing up subs all the time. Well after that people started asking me what I call them and other people wanted to know where to get them, I came up with the Ultra name.

What makes them special???? I won't bore you guys with every little detail.... just the easy ones.

All my parts are Forged and Machined for tolerances you would never expect in a sub, this helps in speed and accuracy. It also helps in getting heat away from the coil another benefit is it makes the sub much more efficient "under the curve" and does not have any unwanted bumps in the impedance or frequency response.

The voice coil former is anodized Aluminum, so you don't get the warp that happens when you heat & beat-up a Kapton voice coil and end up with a blown sub.

The cone is a composite, semi-pressed cone that can go right on to the voice coil with out melting off or need a collar for isolation.
All that does is increase the MMS or weight of the cone and coil assembly and require a larger enclosure for the sake of saving a little money.

The spiders are top quality Nomex, not the ones you can bite through like many subs are coming with.

The dust cover is made of the same material as the cone, this adds to the linear strength of the cone and reduces 2nd and 3rd order distortion.

Many more details maybe a little too much for one post.
I think I should mention that each and Every Ultra speaker is hand assembled in the USA.

So in short (yeah right) I have been producing Ultra products for over 5 years now, we have been slowly growing our dealer base by picking THE BEST OF THE BEST, people who care and get-it.
As a company, we are not going anywhere, we are a privately held company, I have no partners, no board of directors to count pennies and cut corners.

I will say this, you get what you pay for.
One day I received a call from Brad Eubank, he told me that he wanted to use my woofers at the NOPI nationals, three weeks before the event. All my products are SQ products designed and built to take whatever you through at them but I never designed a pure SPL driver before that.
Well on my first try, I built Brad some 15's and he set a new DB drags World Record in the Advanced 1 class with a 162.9 with two custom built (for his application) Ultra 15's.
Sound quality, negligible distortion and American made know how.
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
Alan_Hall
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Alan_Hall

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2007-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 2:38 am

must be a meca record or somthing?? what size motor is that? 200oz?
Back to top Go down
mschwitz
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
mschwitz

Number of posts : 1125
Registration date : 2007-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 11:47 am

You beat me to it Rob. I was going to post my pics here today. I've had my 10's in for three days now and each day they are louder than the day before. The more I beat on these the more they want. The lows are just crazy for a 10" sub. I am definately happy and will be becoming a dealer for Ultra in the next month or so based on the performance of these subs. Lambros was very, very confident about these subs and they lived up to all of the hype behind them. Two thumbs up.
Back to top Go down
jkrob21
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
jkrob21

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Wow! Not a single "dirty" word in his entire post. This has got to be a record. Laughing
Back to top Go down
zacdavis
zacdavis

Number of posts : 917

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Didn't catch your name...
Hi, I read the entire post and didn't fall asleep haha:D We're all happy to see another company in the US building subs in the US. That means a lot to many of us.
Looks as though you have some good product here. I'm excited to see Ultra grow.
One thing I noticed in the pics, this could become a problem in SPL applications, the terminals solder pin height may be a little tall causing the cone to hit during refraction. This could be the angle at which the photo was taken, but it looks as though they could be shortened without any compromise to the woofers performance.
You may have already considered this next suggestion but I'll ask anyways...Have you thought about switching the "fat" surround out for a high roll surround? As you know with a "fat" surround the subwoofer's cone area is compromised. The high roll surround is able to utilize a larger diaphragm. I hear this improves linearity as well.
I like the boot, some argue it only insulates the motor by trapping heat but I'm guessing that amount is minewt, especially in comparison to the protection it provides for the magnet. How many subs have you seen with chipped up motors haha.

I'd like to see you switch the "push style" terminals to a compression style to prevent signal loss. Would be stellar Very Happy

Welcome to USACi, cheers

Zac Davis
Back to top Go down
mschwitz
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
mschwitz

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Zac, we will have to get together soon. If you want to see or hear these in person let me know. Once I get one of my other cars back on the road and don't have to share with Katie, I can come down for a night. I'll get a hold of you later about another forum I really think you should be on.
Back to top Go down
zacdavis
zacdavis

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 10, 2008 2:12 pm

That sounds good, they must be good if your impressed with them, coming from a guy who sells Focal and Audison:D
I'll listen for myself though, you've seen my decibal receptors, yeeeeahhh, they pick any and every detail, gotta be careful though when its windy outside haha.

Talk to you soon.
Back to top Go down
Ultrasubs
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Ultrasubs

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 5:46 am

DAMN, I spent a 1/2 typing up something good for you guys and some shitt happened.
Well screw it, John and Mike........... Post some pictures that you guys have of the Charger, Scion and the other cars.
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
zacdavis
zacdavis

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:21 pm

Ultrasubs wrote:
DAMN, I spent a 1/2 typing up something good for you guys and some shitt happened.
Well screw it, John and Mike........... Post some pictures that you guys have of the Charger, Scion and the other cars.
Thanks,

I'm not quite sure what "happened".
I certainly hope your not referring to my previous post. I've heard nothing but good things about you and your product, if you feel my suggestions were rude I apologize. I had no intentions to upset you, I was just letting you know some of the things I and a few others look for in a competition sub.
By no means was I knocking your product, again I'm truly sorry if you took it that way. Forget I said anything.
Back to top Go down
jkrob21
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
jkrob21

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:25 pm

I think he spent a long time typing another post. And the page locked up on him when hee went to submit. I've had that happen to me before. It's really frustrating.

I'll try and post some pics.
Back to top Go down
Nice
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Nice

Number of posts : 2042
Registration date : 2007-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:27 pm

What organization did they set a world record in?
Back to top Go down
zacdavis
zacdavis

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:36 pm

oh haha, geeze, I thought he was mad at me for critiquing his subs, thank goodness, last thing i wanna do is pizz off a new manufacturer whos interested in supporting us. (wipes brow lets out big sigh)
Back to top Go down
jkrob21
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
jkrob21

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 1:47 pm

Here a a few pics.

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Ultracharger07pn7

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Ultracharger

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Moreultra

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Ultraxb032xi
Back to top Go down
Ultrasubs
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Ultrasubs

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:12 pm

Thanks for posting the pictures John.....
AND ZACH, I was typing my ARS off and for some reason the post got lost.
I was gonna tell you that when you look at the pictures, the terminals look close but they miss by a mile.
As far as the roll on the surround, it matches the peak to peak excursion perfectly, any more surround and it would flap around like hell.
Thanks for "lookin out" though. I don't offend that easy.....just ask John and Mike. I'm usually the offender. LOL.
Hey Rob post more pics to give these guys an idea of the various applications.
Also The Record Brad Eubank set was at the NOPI nationals, I believe in DB Drags. He is a MANIAC.
Thanks,
Back to top Go down
AudioAnonymous
AudioAnonymous

Number of posts : 736

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:49 pm

Ultrasubs wrote:

Well on my first try, I built Brad some 15's and he set a new DB drags World Record in the Advanced 1 class with a 162.9 with two custom built (for his application) Ultra 15's.

Huh? Ya lost me.
Back to top Go down
mschwitz
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
mschwitz

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:51 pm

He's not real up on the competition scene. Was probably Meca or IDBL.
Back to top Go down
jkrob21
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
jkrob21

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 3:53 pm

IDBL I beleive.
Back to top Go down
Cactus Sounds
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Cactus Sounds

Number of posts : 430
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:04 pm

CactusSounds-Geoff wrote:
Ultrasubs wrote:

Huh? Ya lost me.
Yep.... Question
Back to top Go down
mschwitz
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
mschwitz

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 4:09 pm

Back to top Go down
Ultrasubs
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Ultrasubs

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2008 9:25 pm

It's a funny thing on how many years get behimd and how quick they do so.
The last time one of the cars (I did personally) competed was 1998, it was a Toyota MR2, it belonged to Todd Andron, he place with over 20 first place wins in the 301-600 watt class with a pair of separates and a pair of subs.
He was invited to the finals but that was when all that shitt went down with PPI so the last thing we needed to do was to get them another win.
We did "some" testing in regards to how much HELL some Ultra 15" Monstors could take, over 154 in a removable box in a Yukon.
That system logged over 75,000 miles and was used in the Puerto Rican day parade. It is still going. That number was with music........ talk about a headache.
Well everything else was in Brand Z, I don't know if that is a curse word around here or if you guys go to ALL events.
BTW: what is :"crunk junk"? I never heard that said or used before.
Back to top Go down
mschwitz
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
mschwitz

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 12:30 am

Crunk Junk....https://usaci.forumotion.com/general-discussion-f11/quad-t2275.htm
Back to top Go down
BBGIC
Big Bald Guy in Charge
Big Bald Guy in Charge
BBGIC

Number of posts : 2358

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Welcome to the USACI Forums
Back to top Go down
http://www.soundoff.org
jkrob21
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
jkrob21

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 9:19 pm

Thank you for reinstating the post USACI! I don't think you will be dissapointed!!!
Back to top Go down
Ultrasubs
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Ultrasubs

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 3:21 pm

Since I don't know many of you guys, its hard for me to guess what percentage is fore SPL and which for sound quality.

Plus, how many of you guys lve the competition scene but own street systems that see more usage?

Just curious.
Back to top Go down
mschwitz
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
mschwitz

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 3:26 pm

Most of the people you see on here will be spl guys. A few sq guys are still around. I'm loving these subs for sq and daily. I still can't believe 10's are getting this loud while staying clean. I have a guy coming to check them out today, if all goes well we will be placing our dealer order on monday. I have plans to run 4-12" ultra monsters in a crx for a full spl test soon. We know what this car has done before with kicker and dd subs, so it will be interesting to see what the ultra subs can do in the same application. Customer support from Lambros is second to none. This guy has called me every other day since I got my subs to see what I think of them as they are breaking in and getting louder. Everytime he calls I have more and more to say on how much I love these subs. I haven't been this excited about a set of subs I've had in a long time. Two thumbs up to Lambros and Ultra subs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.   Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just good old born in the U.S.A. subwoofers.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next