Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Vote_lcapBatteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Voting_barBatteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Vote_lcapBatteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Voting_barBatteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
record globe dollar records crzyblondgrl silence 2010 chef state finals 80inches contest Johncarr build louisiana songs world pics crank kyle stereo broken quad drive Audiopipe disc
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie

Go down 
+6
snoopdan
TeamSpead-Kenny
stevew007
idbl_fanatic
John Payton
ARMed&Bangin
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ARMed&Bangin
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
ARMed&Bangin

Number of posts : 1010
Registration date : 2007-12-28

Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Empty
PostSubject: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 5:47 pm

Can someone explain to me the importance of having an extra battery, or a bank of them. Does it really make THAT much of a difference?
Back to top Go down
John Payton
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
John Payton

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 5:56 pm

ummmmmmmmmmm, in a way you answered your own question. YES it does make that much of a difference, more reserve, on the street it's better to have a good battery and a upgraded alt then 2 good batteriers and a junk alt but i guess that is related to your current draw.
Back to top Go down
idbl_fanatic
Above Average Contributor
idbl_fanatic

Number of posts : 629
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 6:45 pm

Think of it this way.............

You need to fill a pool...........

You either have

1: A bucket of water

or

2: A hose with a BUNCH of water

what do you think is better to fill the pool with? Something you have to keep filling up?
Back to top Go down
stevew007
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor

Number of posts : 407

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 10:31 am

I was alway's told you need power to make power!
Back to top Go down
TeamSpead-Kenny
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
TeamSpead-Kenny

Number of posts : 2194
Registration date : 2007-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 10:37 am

If your doing a daily set up in your vehicle it is always best to have the most battery power possible without interfering with the flow of the sound. You would also want to consider a high amp alternator to help out too. And even though you would have a high amp alternator helping to charge your batteries you would still want to use a battery charger to charge them also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Teamspead.net
ARMed&Bangin
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
ARMed&Bangin

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:16 am

Might be a dumb question once again, but I'm not knowledged on the subject of electricity at all, whether it is 12v strobe light kit or 220 freezer---

Say I upgrade the alternator to a ...ummm... for conversation's sake say a 200A one....that won't mess with my other electrical stuff, huh?

I'm currently running the stock alt, on an optima yellow top. Should I get another yellowtop to put in the back, or use that yellowtop and put my factory batt back, or it doesn't matter, or what's up?

I'm not sure what the amount of travel a speaker does is called. I've seen the term before, but have forgotten. Like when a good bass note hits it, the distance it rises and falls from it's resting position. Well, anyways, I am currently running two solo L7 15s. With a decent amp (Kicker 2500.1), how much travel should the speaker be doing? I'm producing a lot of bass with my current amp, but am thinking about upgrading to the previously mentioned amp. My amp's making the speaker travel only about 3/8 of an inch (if that much). Am I underpowering them? I know ya'll are going to clown me for this, but the current amp is an Audiobahn 1500HCT, which is currently putting 500w to each speaker. Lemme know something on that if you can. Thanks.

Also wanted to say thank you guys for all the input. I know you've not heard much from me, but I read the forum everyday. A lot of people ask the same questions that I was wondering, and your answers help him and me. There are even questions asked that never came to my mind, which ended up helping with attaining knowledge. I've even learned something from Quad!!! That is---if you put Line X on a dust cap, people will clown you. Useful information indeed. Anyways, thanks to all of you.
Back to top Go down
TeamSpead-Kenny
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
TeamSpead-Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:01 pm

ARMed&Bangin wrote:

Say I upgrade the alternator to a ...ummm... for conversation's sake say a 200A one....that won't mess with my other electrical stuff, huh?

Should I get another yellowtop to put in the back, or use that yellowtop and put my factory batt back, or it doesn't matter, or what's up?

It shouldnt mess with any other electical in the vehicle as long as you regulate the voltage coming in to no more then 14.7volts

I would do a yellow top up front and also one in the cargo area instead of using the stock battery.

You might want to also consider doing the BIG 3 set up in the vehicle and running mulitiple runs of wire from the front battery to the back to help out.
Back to top Go down
ARMed&Bangin
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
ARMed&Bangin

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:16 pm

Alright, I've heard the 'Big 3' mentioned in several posts on here, and was trying to figure out what that meant. Have yet to figure that out.

Another thing I have yet to figure out is someone posting only to say...

ttt

Now what the hell does that mean? lol Yea, words from a true NOOB....gotta start somewhere, huh?
Back to top Go down
TeamSpead-Kenny
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
TeamSpead-Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:47 pm

3 wires up front you can upgrade

1 from the alternator to the battery + side
1 from the engine block to the battery - side
1 from the frame to the battery - side
Back to top Go down
snoopdan
snoopdan

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-03-21

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 12:57 pm

You dont necessairly have to replace the alternator at first. If you go with multiple batteries, you'll have enough reserve not to put much of a strain on the alty. Especially if you're just doing burps or limited streat beat compeition.

For example, in my jeep a few years back I was running two HK4000's on one 18" sub, a stock 90 amp alternator and three optima yellow tops. As long as I charged before doing burps, I could easily do a repeatable 155+ with it. And on daily just beating down the road it wasnt a problem either since I had some reserve capacity in multiple batteries.

Was that the optimum setup ? No, of course not. But its possible to survive on that only for awhile until you can afford/make time to do other upgrades.

My point is, get some good runs of 1/0 or 2/0 cable from the front to the back, a few batteries (doesnt even have to be expensive AGM's, even lead/acid's will do), and observe some good grounding and cabling techniques and you'll then get a perspective of where you need to go next.
Back to top Go down
ARMed&Bangin
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
ARMed&Bangin

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 2:03 pm

Thanks Kenny and Dan.
Back to top Go down
jkrob21
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
jkrob21

Number of posts : 1476

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 3:57 pm

TeamSpead-Kenny wrote:

Indeed. Great place to start whether it be SPL or SQ.
Back to top Go down
Matt_Sibley

Number of posts : 957

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 5:24 pm

jkrob21 wrote:
TeamSpead-Kenny wrote:

Indeed. Great place to start whether it be SPL or SQ.

I've seen this upgrade alone increase voltage at the amp in the rear by almost an entire volt. Thats pretty significant for just replacing a few cables with bigger better ones.

Your vehicles electrical system is designed to run at a certain voltage. The components that make up the vehicles electrical system all draw a particular current. By upgrading the alternator you will have more current to maintain the batteries in the system keeping the charge higher on the plates in the battery. The components such as the vehicle computer etc will still only draw what they need to operate.

As previously stated, even upgrading to a larger 250A alternator you will still need to charge the extra batteries occasionally to ensure they have a full charge. If you have only one amplifier in the vehicle such as a KX2500.1 you can expect approximately 225-250amps of current to be drawn by the amplifier on top of the 70-100 amps of current drawn by other vehicle components. The sum of these currents exceeds your alternators output capabilities even with the upgraded alternator. Once this current is exceeded things begin pulling directly off of the batteries. I always prefer to have more batteries rather than a bigger alternator if I were unable to afford both. If you have a serious voltage drop you will see the problem solved much faster by adding an additional battery near the amplifier rather than upgrading the alternator. It never hurts to do both as stated, but bang for the buck, the more batteries the better. Just dont forget to charge them once a week or so overnight to top them off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.us.airliquide.com
iowan
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
iowan

Number of posts : 1018

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 5:39 pm

ttt= to the top... as in to the top of the topic list...
Back to top Go down
95_Path

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 6:15 pm

Yes, BIG 3 is the most efficient mod you can do, for the least cost.

Adding 1/0 to my stock alternator and a new lead-acid Duralast jumped me from 12.8v to around 14.0. The voltage drop on a 1200w setup (2 amps) never went below 11v, even on extended notes.
Back to top Go down
ARMed&Bangin
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
ARMed&Bangin

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 9:17 pm

Hey, seriously, thanks guys. This information is helpful indeed.

Approximately what will the BIG 3 be upgrading from....saying--the three wires to be changed out...what size are they--stock? And 0 or 1 guage is sufficient?

AHHHH...ttt....to the top. Gotcha. I thought someone was immitating their tweeters. lol
Back to top Go down
95_Path

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Stock is usually 6 gauge. You can leave stock wires or scrap them and just add the additional wire.

I think 1/0 is sufficient. After that, it's a matter of diminishing returns (no matter what, you aren't going over 14.7v without major mods).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie   Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Batteries, and more Batteries got your truck on a wheelie
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: