Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Vote_lcaprecommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Voting_barrecommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Vote_lcaprecommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Voting_barrecommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
contest drive crank dollar world crzyblondgrl Johncarr silence state songs finals disc 2010 quad broken 80inches louisiana kyle Audiopipe globe stereo record records pics build chef
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?

Go down 
+10
Kicker Kevin
jsketoe
johnperdeye
Twisted Image
Matt_Sibley
dbracer79
MAGNATUDE
sanman
BBGIC
mcarmer
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mcarmer

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-12-18

recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Empty
PostSubject: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 6:14 pm

Alright, I am looking for batteries to keep my DD Z2 satisfied.

I was looking at going with 5 BATCAP2000's and running only the 12 volt system on those batteries daily. Then later on go and get a BATCAP 8400 16volt batt for the time i want to compete using 16volts. BASICALLY havign a dedicated 12 volts system for daily, and add a 16v batt for 16v runs at comps. Ive heard from users of batcap that just from switching out their old batteries to batcaps they gained a db or so.Dont know how honest that statement is, but its related to the discharge rate supposedly.

OR

I was going to get 4 Kinetik HC16v batteries, and run them on 12 volts daily, and then just hook them up to the 16v posts for the times i want to run the amp at competitions on 16volts. They would be ran daily at 12 volts and once in a while they would be ran at 16volts, but not often enough truthfully maybe a few times a year, i attend car shows more than audio only comps as i have more of a car show oriented vehicle than a SPL built vehicle.

What do you think would be the best thing for me to do?

Remember i will be running daily at 12 volts then only 16 volt burps at competitions only.

I have heard that if the Kinetik 16v batts dont get ran at 16volts often, but only at 12 volts daily it will damage the 2 volt cell side of the battery rendering it useless to run the battery at 16volts when needed.

Is there any truth to that?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
BBGIC
Big Bald Guy in Charge
Big Bald Guy in Charge
BBGIC

Number of posts : 2358
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 6:27 pm

Both support USACI!
Back to top Go down
http://www.soundoff.org
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Number of posts : 12087
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 6:38 pm

powermaster man they have done me goooooooood for 2 years now and won me a championship in 2 cars at this years finals. oops should i know say a name anymore im confused
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 6:40 pm

and i have 3 z2's
Back to top Go down
MAGNATUDE
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
MAGNATUDE

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2007-11-08

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 7:54 pm

mcarmer - Simply adding 16 volt batteries (in parallel, no matter how many you have) will only get you 12 to 14 volts running daily off your factory alternator!

You may have to replace your factory 12v alternator with one rated for 16-18 volts to properly charge your 16v batteries, ...then add a secondary outboard 12v regulator along with a diode/isolator wired inline to charge your vehicles 12v battery safely as your cars daily power source.

The isolator prevents your 12v & 16v batteries from draining one another.
Back to top Go down
dbracer79
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
dbracer79

Number of posts : 1086
Registration date : 2007-06-28

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 10:17 pm

Or add a step down module.
Back to top Go down
mcarmer

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 10:18 pm

MAGNATUDE,
I never intended to have 16v batts charge off a 14v alternator. And didnt say i was going to either.

ALL of the 16v batteries or 16v side of the KHC16v batts would be charged using a charger.

Whether its the KCH16v or the Batcap 8400 16v version, they will only be charged using a 16v charger.

Now the 12v side of the Kinetik HC16v batteries would be charged and ran daily using my 300amp alternator on the truck.

But my questions was, what would be better to run daily?

5 Batcap 2000's 12v bank, and for comp run only a totally seperate batcap 8400 16v charged off a charger.

or

4 Kinetik HC16v batts, use the 12v side daily and charge daily using the alt, and then for comp only I could switch the amp to the 16v side which would be charged off a charger only also.

I know about isolators and do not want to run them or run a 16v audio on a amp daily anyways, it would fry the amp internally, those amps are made to handle 16 volts for only a matter of seconds to a few minutes at a time, not hours of daily use. At least thats what the DD techs have told me.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by on Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mcarmer

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 10:21 pm

sanman wrote:
and i have 3 z2's

how much voltage drop do you have with those? and what kind of battery bank do you think i would need to run for a single Z2?

will be running my 2 9515g's at 1 ohm load, so it should pull a good bit of amps, i am mainly concerned about the floating voltage and a good reserve capacity, among other things the actual physical dimensions as i do not want a whole bed full of batteries, I just wont ahve the room for that much.
Back to top Go down
Matt_Sibley
Above Average Contributor
Above Average Contributor

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 10:25 pm

I dont think the single batcap 8400 would have enough reserve. It would be one and done. A combination of good batteries and then putting the big batcap right before the amp would probably be the best but also the most expensive route.
Back to top Go down
http://www.us.airliquide.com
mcarmer

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 10:52 pm

It would be a single batCap 8400 charged full for a few short burps and thats it, the 12v batts would be ran daily and charged off the alternator.

But the single 16v batt would be totally seperate than the 12v batts and would be charged off the charger instead of the truck.

the batcap 8400 has enough reserve for a few burps with no problems, its the same exact batt DD has on their site, Ray builds the batts for them, it is recommended to use a few short time because of heat problems.

He told me if its used in deathmatches it will overheat and possibly melt and catch fire, so as ive said before i really only want to have 16v available for a few burps and thats all.

My main thing is im not thinking that the KCH16v batteries will last long enough or give me enough reserve that id want for my 12v side.

As far as their 16v side the Batcap 8400 would have mor reserve then 4 of the KCH16v's altogether.

But id only need 16v for a few seconds worth of playtime.

The 12v batcaps arent even made to be ran hard use for minutes at a time, so i would rather have more smaller batts(2000's or HC16v's) so i dont have overheating issues.
Back to top Go down
Twisted Image
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Twisted Image

Number of posts : 1111
Registration date : 2007-06-21

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 11:23 pm

The kinetik HC16v's have to be charged at 16 volts at all times. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHARGE ON THE 12 VOLT POST ONLY. You can run off the 12 volt post alone, but you must charge 18+ volt to the 16 volt terminal to not cause damage
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 11:25 pm

well man a bank will do you well on 1 z2 of kenetiks or 4 powermaster batts i personally have had nothing but good luck with powermaster batts but thats me and my experiences
Back to top Go down
mcarmer

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 11:33 pm

thanks, thats what i have heard about those batteries, but i really dont think people run them on a charger at 16v at all times like they should, so with that being said they probably wouldnt last long being ran and charged on the 12v side most of the time.

Thats what i worried about these batts is running them at 12v daily, without using the 16v side until i charge it up on the charger and run the amp off that for a few seconds.

I was leaning toward doing a totally seperate 16v source for comp only, and 12v only for daily. But i was curious to if there was truth to that 16v batts being damaged by not using thema t 16v.

So my next questions would be, do the batcap 2000's have suffiecent reserve capacity for a single Z2?

Which would be better for my 12v bank either running 5 Batcap2000's or 4 Kinetik 2400's?

Then for my 16v setup i would use either 1Batcap8400 or something else, ill get that later on.

Thanks, Mike
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 10:24 am

ive seen guys spend a ton of money on them batcaps just to get pissed off anf go back to kenetik you need to do more research before you buy man actually call a batt company they will ask your needs and what is best for you Scottie Johnson is awsome at this man he will actually recommend something other than the line he promotes if he thinks it is better for the competitor for he is for the company but also for the best interest in the competitor
Back to top Go down
johnperdeye
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Number of posts : 1406

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 11:31 am

i personally have used all 3 and kinetik has worked the best for me but there are a lot of variables....call one of the 3 and talk to them
Back to top Go down
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Number of posts : 1587

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 7:14 pm

I'd go Kinetik.
Back to top Go down
dbracer79
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
dbracer79

Number of posts : 1086
Registration date : 2007-06-28

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Some of our cars rock the Batcaps.No dissappointments so far. Their new batteries are cool.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 9:08 pm

yeah its all opiniated but we ran 2 cars this year at finals both ran powermaster batts and well both won world titles ehhhh
Back to top Go down
mcarmer

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 10:06 pm

man so far ive talked to Ray(batcap) and Chris McVay (Kinetik) and i like both of their products BUT Im really trying to get the best for me.

Whoevers products i end up running will definately benefit from me running them, although i will not be SPL driven specifically, i do have one hell of a truck that is nothing short of a show stopper especially as soon as i get the audio system in it here shortly. And sicne i plan attending alot of car shows this year word will get out and I am pretty sure that the truck should and hopefully will get some magazine coverage.

Im looking for advice basically since i used to only run SVR batts before my last truck (Louisiana_CRX owns it now) which had 5 yellow tops and i didnt think that the Optimas performed well at all,and the SVRs didnt do that good of a job either. So id like to get some really good batts this time around especially since the Z2 needs alot of power.

Is there anyone with a Z1 or Z2 that runs it daily, can help me out and tell me what they are using and what they recommend for a setup like mine?

Thanks so far for the help on my questions, I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Kicker Kevin
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Kicker Kevin

Number of posts : 1376
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 11:50 pm

Powermaster!
Back to top Go down
TECH114
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
TECH114

Number of posts : 4748
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:12 am

Kicker Kevin wrote:
Powermaster!
Your post is going to be deleted. You said the P word lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/infinitisound
johnperdeye
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:14 am

well i had 6 16v powermasters on 2 pd2000 and i would drop from 17.8 to 13.2on a full burp with only 4 kinetik batts i would drop from 17.8 to 14.5 this is with the same ohm load same everything
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:23 am

well john not to be rude but 1 of them batts you had that i bought had silicone on the bottom of it looked like it was cracked and then sealed up and not sure what type of charger you use bro but my intelicharger took nearly 2 days to charge them batts just a thought
Back to top Go down
mcarmer

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:42 am

Im still strapped on what to run, I was told by a few people locally to gow ith Kinetiks, and the DD guys told me to run Batcaps, and a few others ahve said to check out Powermasters.

I really do not know, like whats said above its personal preference i guess.

Well whatever i go with i hope i do not have problems with them running daily and being abused at shows.

Still looking around, By the way has anyone done any bench tests on the three brands ive mentioned? like comparing them to eachother?

i searched earlier but didnt find anything, only small comparisons nothing numbers wise.

thanks
Back to top Go down
johnperdeye
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:50 am

sanman wrote:
well john not to be rude but 1 of them batts you had that i bought had silicone on the bottom of it looked like it was cracked and then sealed up and not sure what type of charger you use bro but my intelicharger took nearly 2 days to charge them batts just a thought

told u that when u bought them and that didnt effect the performance of that battery.... charged them with a powermaster intelligent charger....even if it did 5 batts then cant keep up with 4 kinetiks....hummmmmm
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:51 am

look here fuk nut i wasnt bashing you i was just making a comment

and ummhmmmm them batts went to finals in 2 vehicles that wont 2 1st place trophy's not one that didnt show FYI
Back to top Go down
johnperdeye
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:53 am

u know jeff once again since when did me or my personel life have anything to do with U.......
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:56 am

I MADE A COMMENT ON SOME BATTS I OBTAINED FROM YOU AND HOW WELL THEY DID AT FINALS DESPITE THERE CONDITION AND YOU SEE IT AS A PERSONAL ATTACK MAN EDUCATION MAN MISSISSIPPI NEEDS IT BADLY
Back to top Go down
johnperdeye
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:57 am

not one that didnt show FYI......well what does this sound like then mister einstein
Back to top Go down
johnperdeye
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2008 12:59 am

[quote="sanman"]I MADE A COMMENT ON SOME BATTS I OBTAINED FROM YOU AND HOW WELL THEY DID AT FINALS DESPITE THERE CONDITION AND YOU SEE IT AS A PERSONAL ATTACK MAN EDUCATION MAN MISSISSIPPI NEEDS IT BADLY[/quote

what u know about education army brat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?   recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

recommendations for my needs: batcap or kinetik?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next