Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
correct size box? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
correct size box? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
correct size box? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
correct size box? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
correct size box? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
correct size box? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
correct size box? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
correct size box? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
correct size box? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
correct size box? Vote_lcapcorrect size box? Voting_barcorrect size box? Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
correct size box? Vote_lcapcorrect size box? Voting_barcorrect size box? Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
2010 kyle Audiopipe contest dollar songs disc silence record crzyblondgrl chef globe finals crank quad louisiana drive stereo state pics 80inches world Johncarr broken build records
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

correct size box?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Doc8927

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-12-01

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 6:57 pm

I am new to car audio and don't know much about enclosures and such. I bought 4 15 inch Rockford P1s about 3 days ago that came in a huge box. I was not able to fit into my trunk so I cut the box in half and now it fits nicely... but I still thing its too big of a sealed enclosure for these subs. I pick up low lows really nice but on higher low notes it sounds like junk. Here is a rough drawing of what the box size is-- correct size box? 15inchrockfordP1s

Its 5.57 ft3 which seems huge, I was thinking of porting the box to make it sound better? Is that a good idea or how should I go about making this sound better? I have the pair hooked up to a concept 1200(rms) amp, and installed in a 97 Chrysler LHS. Thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
Above Average Contributor
chrisbaldelli

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2008-11-30

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 8:05 pm

Well RF's website recommends atleast 1.3 cubic feet per woofer, sealed. For 4 woofers, that's 5.2.

If your box is 5.5 cubic feet, that's perfect for 4 P1's sealed. It's also appropriate for 2 P1 ported at 34 Hz.

Dumb questions:
1) When you cut the box in half, you did seal it back up properly, right? (6 sides not 5) <-- that will ruin the sound of any system
2) Have you checked the low pass filter (LPF) and bass boost (BB) settings on your amp? BB should be off, and LPF should be adjusted to your liking (80-100 Hz).
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 8:19 pm

For the record,

Porting won't make it louder, unless you have the space to do it properly... and an LHS doesn't have that kind of space. Keep it sealed with a suitable amount of space.

Concept "1200 wRMS" amplifier only has 40 amps of fusing... so you're really only getting 400wRMS out of it, which is actually a good thing for 4 P1's. That being said, don't replace the fuses with big ones... you'll just catch the car on fire.
Back to top Go down
Doc8927

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 8:23 pm

well I only have the two subs it that 5.5 box it was a full 11 cubic box before I cut it in half to make it look like the box above. Should I cut out two more spots on it and put the other two subs in that same box?
Back to top Go down
Doc8927

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 10:49 pm

oh sorry I didn't see your stuff up top. Yes I sealed it back up after cutting it in half, but I was a bit confused as to the amp settings. I tryed to kind of play with it to see what i liked but its hard to tell. I am going to go ahead the put all four in that one 5.5 box sealed and see what I end up with, then I'll see how to tune it on the amp. Also I have two 8 inch JLs in the back. One in between the 6x9s by the back glass and one in the fold down arm rest in the backseat both of which are blown now because that's the only air space to get into the cars cab from the trunk. so now I was thinking of taking out the little 8s and putting in some ports to the trunk prob just a PVC pipe flared at the end. I will upload more pictures of everything tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
HustlePayper

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2009-04-08

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 12:17 am

you should just start over build a new box for all 4 the you will know for sure your getting a good seal would probably sound way better
Back to top Go down
http://HustlePayper.com
Doc8927

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 3:07 pm

Well I got a great seal on it. I matched the 1 inch MDF that the box was made of, and used a full tube of OSI sub floor adhesive to seal it up. Doing not only the side I put on but all sides on the box. But I got really lucky I didn't cut into the box yet. I pulled to box to the back of the trunk to do some measuring and decided to listen to it like that. Turns out I should have played with the box alittle because its about twice as loud. Also I took out the two 8 inch JLs and put in PVC ports. I have been fine tuning it, which is hard to do with two ports. Cutting a half inch at a time off and its crazy loud now. I know 2 P1 15s isn't much to brag about but I am seriously thinging about going and having it tested. Just curious what kind of numbers I can hit with it tuned like this.
Back to top Go down
Doc8927

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 3:16 am

chrisbaldelli wrote:
Well RF's website recommends atleast 1.3 cubic feet per woofer, sealed. For 4 woofers, that's 5.2.

If your box is 5.5 cubic feet, that's perfect for 4 P1's sealed. It's also appropriate for 2 P1 ported at 34 Hz.

Dumb questions:
1) When you cut the box in half, you did seal it back up properly, right? (6 sides not 5) <-- that will ruin the sound of any system
2) Have you checked the low pass filter (LPF) and bass boost (BB) settings on your amp? BB should be off, and LPF should be adjusted to your liking (80-100 Hz).

34 Hz is kinda low isn't it? I have not changed the box at all yet I just moved it. But I think porting it and leaving only the two P1s in there for now is good. Another rookie question how do I figure out a square slot port size? that is if I'm tuning it to 34 Hz? is there a calculator online I can just enter my enclosure size and it will tell me what the port needs to be? Thanks in advance.
Oh and I still have quite a bit of room in the trunk... Really I am only about 4 inches off from being able to stick my other box of two 15s in there. I think there is about 20 inches between my back seats and the enclosure, if you think that is enough room for a slot port to help out.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 4:03 am

34 Hz is directly from Rockford's website. LINK

Personally, I think it's about right for daily driving. For competitions, you want to tune higher (depending on the cabin's resonant frequency... which i have no clue about).

For port size calculations, CarStereo.com's calculator is pretty decent. The rule of thumb is "16 square inches of port per cubic foot of box" ... which is accurate for daily driving. Personally, 10 square inches per cubic foot is fine with low powered woofers.

For slot port length, I use the12volt.com's calculator. You can google either quite easily.
Back to top Go down
Doc8927

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 2:29 am

when using the12volt.com's calculator, for port size am I telling it the port size including the wood? or just the gap between the MDF?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

correct size box? Empty
PostSubject: Re: correct size box?   correct size box? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

correct size box?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: HOW TO GET LOUD! :: HOW TO GET LOUD!-
Jump to: