Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Vote_lcapbuild - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Voting_barbuild - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Vote_lcapbuild - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Voting_barbuild - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
records Audiopipe stereo record dollar 80inches 2010 louisiana songs broken pics crzyblondgrl contest silence state drive Johncarr quad disc build crank world globe chef finals kyle
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Chris' Last Minute Build Log

Go down 
+5
sanman
supadave
Skip01
chrisfish
chrisbaldelli
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chrisbaldelli
Above Average Contributor
chrisbaldelli

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2008-11-30

build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Empty
PostSubject: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:30 am

I had fun the last couple days. After getting inspired by some crazy box designs, I bought a metric crap ton of MDF. Then proceeded to do some necessary (and unnecessary) improvements.

Original Box:
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0749

Then, double Baffle using the glue n screw method
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0700

Then, seal the front edges well
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0708

Then, install some shiny things
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0774

Then, build an amp rack for the strapped AP15001D's
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0777

Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:34 am

Then, build a platform that sits on the folded down back seats. The box shown is sealed, just for baseline testing.
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0780

Then, I built up a shell that gradually expanded from 24"x24" to 36"x49"

build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0783

There was also a top to it (not pictured)

Then, realize it only hits 130 dB Sleep Sleep and break out the crow bar
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0785

And the hammer! Think Donkey Kong... it was alot of fun.
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0786

Install a new face for the ports, and get jiggy with it
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0788

Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:38 am

Do some cabin gain tuning with 2 amps
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0784

Tight tolerances!!!
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0793

Squid Box!!!
build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log IMG_0791

That's all for now. Next, I need to reinstall the box, and get the tuning perfect.
Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

Number of posts : 6521
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:41 am

I see you haven't tossed those fuses yet?
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:44 am

I swapped the 100's out for 150's, and prefer to keep them in. One amp on fire this season is enough. No

Plus I'm still seeing full voltage during my runs, so fuses aren't the bottleneck.... time and $$$ are though.
Back to top Go down
Skip01
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Skip01

Number of posts : 2099
Registration date : 2007-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Shoulda done 1 6" on the side subs facing back....wang.

47s easy
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 4:04 pm

I've never heard of sub back, port driver's side.... cool idea!

I'll test the squid box on its side and see how the car likes that alignment.
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

Number of posts : 3745
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 8:07 pm

hey chris i would listen to skip man you seen what he can do with 2 12's an 2 2500s in a freakin exlpoer or expedition or whatever that big ass truck is. he know's his Dung Pile an has done some freakin awesome numbers with half the size subs as guys who has those size trucks.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Number of posts : 12087
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 12:11 am

alot of the suv's like subs up ports to the side explorors were ports to passenger side if im not mistaken
Back to top Go down
Skip01
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Skip01

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 7:48 am

sanman wrote:
alot of the suv's like subs up ports to the side explorors were ports to passenger side if im not mistaken

Yeh mine likes ports too pass. side, but i never gained with subs up.....they always liked back with 2 subs....weird
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 7:14 pm

Buuuuurp.

That's the sound of some early testing. 144 dB, using 2/3 power and uncut aeros (~47 Hz). Lots of leaks and losses to fix... and many hours of tuning/resizing to do.

With subs back, it gets that nasty "waaaaang" sound of vibrating metal that the high powered cars have... on 2kW and 2 10s. Makes me happy, even if it's lossy. Might need to foam the back door soon.

I'll update with pics and tuning sometime soon. Thanks to Skip, Sanman, and others for the help thusfar.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Sunday testing: cut ports by 1" each time... retest frequency spectrum for the box with ports UP, LEFT and RIGHT.

Maximum setup was 5" off the original length, tuned to 56 Hz. Peaked at 144. Yeah, I know... same as the uncut ports. Oh well.

Today: installed a 0.1 cf block of 2x4's.

LOST a dB. argh.

Does that mean my box is too small already? It's 2 cf, common chamber for 2 mid-grade 10's on 2kw.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 5:53 pm

cutting ports doesnt acomplish as much as people think most change 2-3 things at a time and assume cutting the port made then huge differance

moving the box/seats/doors/visors etc etc etc is what will get you there more over ports man

if it moves test test test
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 5:55 pm

most suv's also like meter in the drivers kick and the passenger door open
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks Sanman.

I'm trying to be as methodical as possible... filled up 2 pages of test results. Tossed it in a spreadsheet to find the "sweet spot" as far as hz and port tuning for each direction.

Each number is a single change, to either input frequency, box tuning, box direction, seat position.

The current best is Subs back, Port up/driver's... with rear seats down and driver's door wide open and headrests on.

Next thing to try is remove the seats completely, and play with an open cabin. That and remove rear paneling.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 10:17 pm

yah man just throwing out there what i have seen work best in the past
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeTue Oct 05, 2010 10:18 pm

also test while plugging up onf of the 3 ports try to plug each one up while stull using 2 this may help as well due to being to much vent for ther suspension to handle
Back to top Go down
cody08
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
cody08

Number of posts : 1674
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 1:45 am

sanman wrote:
most suv's also like meter in the drivers kick and the passenger door open

Mine does lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/performanceaudio118
Skip01
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Skip01

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 1:32 pm

Mine likes drivers side kick and sealed up, i lose when i open anything.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

Number of posts : 3897
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 1:43 pm

you can play with ports and seats all day... the enclosure volume is going to decide what notes the loudest. cutting ports is just fine tunning for impedance mostly.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 2:16 pm

So Alan,

If I lost a dB by adding a 0.1cf block into my box... it IS a logical conclusion that I need to build a bigger box, right?

What's a good maximum box size to start with?? ... there's honestly not enough time to spend tuning the box volume (very much) before Finals. Got a wedding and an important meeting from Ford (my big boss) this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 12:54 pm

i find it hard to believe that .1 cost you a whole db..
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 2:46 pm

Well, since I'm testing using an Audiocontrol Epic-160... that's the precision I have available.

FWIW, there was a noticable difference in airflow "feel"... meaning that "sweet spot" never really showed up.

What's the biggest airspace that you guys have seen 10s perform optimally at (disregarding DD's)?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 5:37 pm

well the gains and losses you see on the AC will be different than what you see on the TL. from whati know they work quite a bit different.
Back to top Go down
Skip01
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Skip01

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 7:34 pm

That they do...AC measure air, TL is pressure

Not that dumbed down, but its the jist of it

Thats why u can blow into AC mic and read a high score, and not same as TL...gotta make like a pocket and blow in too seal it
Back to top Go down
sbcherokee
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
sbcherokee

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 7:47 pm

i love the pioneer subs now! i bought oneof the champion 10s(not the champion pro) to put in the explorer for a dd system in a 1.1 cube sealed box and got a 138 out of it tl legal on about 400 fosgate watts. unbelievable! i honestly thought it would blow whenever i hooked it up
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Hey SBCherokee,

Yeah... they aren't bad for Wal-Mart subs Laughing

Suspension is a little stiff for SPL, and the coils are a little undersized... but it's hard to bottom them or (completely) kill them. I've tried many times (some inadvertant).
Back to top Go down
sbcherokee
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
sbcherokee

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2010-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 8:02 pm

i compared it with my w6 in the same box of course the w6 won but thats a 250 dollar sub vs a 80 dollar sub the w6 put a 138.6 at same frequency but still awesome sub my co worker talked me into it now ima try a champion pro!lol Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 9:19 pm

the ac160 has been tested on quite a bit and was within a db on some kc crx's that have done quite well at finals quite often
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:06 pm

^^^ It's always been within a dB of my score on the Term-lab... and I got it for ~ 1/10 of the cost.

Good enough for me, until I "get serious" (up to Jimbo's MF-Pussie standard Laughing that guy cracks me up)

Alright, since no one has answered the box size question:
- I'll extend the box in increments of 0.175 cubic feet. That's roughly 1" strips for this box.
- Then fine tune with my 0.1 cubic foot brick.

that's 2.0 --> 2.2 --> 2.35 --> 2.5 --> 2.7 --> 2.85 --> 3.0 etc. Until it gets loud.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chris' Last Minute Build Log   build - Chris' Last Minute Build Log Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chris' Last Minute Build Log
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: