Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Vote_lcapFeedback on Crazy Box Designs Voting_barFeedback on Crazy Box Designs Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Vote_lcapFeedback on Crazy Box Designs Voting_barFeedback on Crazy Box Designs Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
stereo records broken pics disc state songs 2010 globe quad silence dollar 80inches Johncarr world kyle contest chef Audiopipe build crzyblondgrl crank louisiana finals drive record
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Feedback on Crazy Box Designs

Go down 
+4
dbdaddy
schrummy
Alan
chrisbaldelli
8 posters
AuthorMessage
chrisbaldelli
Above Average Contributor
chrisbaldelli

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Empty
PostSubject: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 11:32 pm

Do you think either will be loud? Both are roughly tuned to 60 Hz

Box 1
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Horn%20Box%201%201
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Horn%20Box%201%202

Box 2
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Horn%20Box%202%201
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Horn%20Box%202%202
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

Number of posts : 3897
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 1:58 am

im leaning towards the top one.
Back to top Go down
schrummy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
schrummy

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2009-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 2:37 am

how would you support it????

as for the second..... angling it up is probably bad.... try starting at the bottom and have it horn out to a massive size....
Back to top Go down
dbdaddy
dbdaddy

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 8:36 am

i like number 2. you live in houston right? ide like to see one of those boxes when you get done if you're willing.
Back to top Go down
Moparbass28
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Moparbass28

Number of posts : 3541
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 10:28 am

They would both work rather well.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 10:30 am

@ DBDaddy,
Absolutely. I should have something interesting at the Hurricane Alley Drag. If it gives decent numbers, you'll see it at Finals too.

@ Schrummy
I'd support most of the load using a platform from the center console bump... then all-thread to the back wall.

Massive horns look cool and are really efficient, but getting their tuning just right is difficult. I'm working with "HornResp" but it's not really designed to work for car audio. I'm learning though.

Currently, I'm trying to develop tapped horn enclosure... which is kinda like a transmission line (tapered quarter wave tube [TQWT]). I've built a couple TQWT's but not for subs. They work well for full-range speakers (3" speakers that can boogie at 50-60 Hz).
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 10:37 am

schrummy wrote:
how would you support it????

as for the second..... angling it up is probably bad.... try starting at the bottom and have it horn out to a massive size....
could use some cables lol or just put some supports top bottom and sides ? i dont care much fopr the 2nd because with just two woofers ther eis no reason to have to port on top. and im not sure why its leaned so far back. NO one can honestly tell ya what will be better...
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 10:41 am

The idea was to minimize cabin space. Also, I didn't want to overdo the port area. Too much port scares the dB's away.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Crazy Box #3
It's alot like Aho77's old blazer... just not on fire.

The benefit to this box is REALLY easy tuning. By adjusting the port board length, placement of the rear wall, and height of the rear wall... all the tuning and box sizes are quickly available.

Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Horn%20Box%203%201
Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Horn%20Box%203%202
Back to top Go down
Skip01
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Skip01

Number of posts : 2099
Registration date : 2007-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 6:42 pm

What is all the extra space behind it?

Seems like an intricate build for something that might not work
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 11:20 pm

@ Skip,
The open space is just that... wide open space that doesn't get presurized.

I'm trying to decrease the cabin space, and create a more efficient shape.

Think about Rexs and S-10s. Small cabins pressurize easier. Making smooth transitions should help minimize losses. That being said, Crazy Box 1 is probably best... but Crazy Box 3 is easy to tune. Crazy Box 2 is somewhere in-between.

Sketchup makes everything seem complicated. Box 3 is just a flat board (wall) + 6 boards for the box + platform. Box 1 is an existing box, with a platform + 5 boards for the "orchestra shell"
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 11:28 pm

what kind of car is this? looks like a suv? id almost be willing to bet you could get a normal box to play the same or louder all the way from the back. when you wall it up you really need to toss some cone area at it. walling with 2 10s in useless in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 19, 2010 11:52 pm

It's the interior measurements for a RAV4 with no rear seats. B-pillar and back.

I'm at the point that Skip was describing in his other thread... where you're stuck at low-mid 140's and can't find the "sweet spot". I want to bring a decent score to Finals, but regular boxes aren't getting it done for me.

Alignments tried:
box in trunk - subs up, port up
box in trunk - subs front, port back
box in trunk - subs left, port right
box on folded down rear seats - CRX style
no rear seats, box non floor - CRX style

adjusted front-back, side-side, flipped, angled, etc

tuning has been anywhere from 37 Hz to 55 Hz.

Best scores were:
box on rear seats @ 45 Hz
box in trunk - subs forward port back @ 50 Hz (subs left, port right was actually the same score)

I know you gotta put time in... but as so many rappers have state, "Pimpin' ain't easy!"
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 12:15 am

it has a trunk?
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 12:22 am

RAV's have a normal SUV boot/trunk

Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Sm-trunk
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 12:25 am

have you thought about a differnt woofer and amp set up? im guessing most all your numbers testing the rear area were decently simular? are you using areos? and what size boxes? the size of the enclosure will play more of a roll than most anything youve mentioned testing
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 12:42 am

Pioneer mid-grade 10's. Have tested them for 1.0, 1.2, and 1.5 cubic feet each. They prefer 1.0-1.2 depending on everything else in the setup.

Haven't tried different woofers, since I can't imagine them being much different from Type R's or AQ SD2.5's. Amps are putting out rated +/- some... though they get toasty during SB runs.

Haven't used aeros yet, since there's usually plenty of port area.

Do you have any advice from successful Exploders/Blazers/etc... for SPL box design?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 12:49 am

id forsure swap to areos. i think you would be suprised what a woofer swap might do
Back to top Go down
soundbybass
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
soundbybass

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 1:27 am

There used to be a Guy in a red eclipse that ran a 3 -15 box like box number two and he was in low to mid 150'z idle I'd agree with Alan though you should try aeros sub forward port back or sub up port back before u jump to the wall it takes a lot more build to make a wall l
oud
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 1:35 am

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Time to restrategize. Keep it simple, keep it efficient, and do work!
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 3:10 am

After some digging on Termpro,

Explorers and Blazers tend to do well with subs up, port to the driver's side. I'll give it a try this week, and hopefully find the sweet spot.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 8:04 am

but you need to get some areos. i have pics of some boxes but didnt post them up.
Back to top Go down
Skip01
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Skip01

Number of posts : 2099
Registration date : 2007-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 2:54 pm

With 2 subs, my Explorer always does best subs back, port side.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeMon Sep 20, 2010 3:06 pm

That should be easy enough to test. I'll make a box that can "DO A BARREL ROLL!"

then I can test:
subs forward/up/back and port left/right... that's 6 boxes in 1. yay!

This thread has saved me numerous hours of useless design work. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
SPL2K
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
SPL2K

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 5:42 pm

chrisbaldelli wrote:

I'm trying to decrease the cabin space, and create a more efficient shape.

Think about Rexs and S-10s. Small cabins pressurize easier.

If that were always true, CRX's would be loudest with a wall. Are they? study
Back to top Go down
http://www.SPL2K.com
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way, though.

As an engineer, I tried to maintain the hope that theory is worth poopy... but as you know very well SPL is illogical, except for that one truth:

"The only way to get loud is with a meter and a ton of hard work."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feedback on Crazy Box Designs   Feedback on Crazy Box Designs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Feedback on Crazy Box Designs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: