Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Vote_lcapdisc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Voting_bardisc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Vote_lcapdisc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Voting_bardisc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
songs contest 2010 world chef state kyle crzyblondgrl disc records build stereo record dollar crank pics Audiopipe drive globe Johncarr silence 80inches finals louisiana broken quad
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc

Go down 
+4
KajunKreations
jsketoe
OnYrMrk
Matt_Sibley
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt_Sibley
Above Average Contributor

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2007-06-25

disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Empty
PostSubject: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 7:45 pm

I was wondering if some of the more experienced SQ judges or competitors would share their favorite tracks for judging off of the Focal SQ disc. I've been listening to the tracks on several reference systems and pinpointed some songs and items to listen for that will really bring out a lacking part of the system, but I am curious to what tracks you all use and what specifically you listen for on these tracks. I'm interested in your feedback. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.us.airliquide.com
OnYrMrk
OnYrMrk

Number of posts : 893
Registration date : 2007-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 7:52 pm

Grandma's Hands...but that is just me.

The Chesky (MECA) version doesn't really emphasize the stomp as much as the Focal Disk. It is much harder to judge with it in Mr. Stern's show. But a well designed system should be able to play vocals well across the spectrum...it isn't all about the Music. Acappella has some of the toughest frequencies to master.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scentsy.com/wallis
Matt_Sibley

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 8:58 pm

Agreed! I noticed the difference in the stomp as well!
Back to top Go down
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Number of posts : 1587
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:39 am

LOL...you lookin' for the inside tip? Pate's judged with me...he knows what I go to. Most judges pick certain areas out of certain songs. I have my favorites.
Back to top Go down
KajunKreations
KajunKreations

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 5:36 pm

junior wells- sweet sixteen
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/nolanmenne
Chris's Studio Civic

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2007-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:38 pm

Dire Straits....Money For Nothing
Prince.....Purple Rain
Rush....Spirit of Radio
Dark New Day....Follow The Sun
Back to top Go down
Chris's Studio Civic

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:41 pm

Sketoe is right....you fishin? LOL. I think we all know the standards we listen to on the usual sq discs we have all heard. I like to use music i actually listen to and enjoy.
Back to top Go down
OnYrMrk
OnYrMrk

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:47 pm

oh if that is the case, then

"The Prayer" - Andreas Boccelli and Celine Dion
Back to top Go down
Chris's Studio Civic

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Well..........Now I know why your car sounds like it does....LOL
Back to top Go down
OnYrMrk
OnYrMrk

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 9:17 pm

You tuned it...so the blame lies on you brother! LOL

actually I listen to alot of Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Lyle Lovett...generally all types of music...but the one that I will absolutely avoid....LINUS! LOL
Back to top Go down
Chris's Studio Civic

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 10:49 am

I would too!!!! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Iron Maiden
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Iron Maiden

Number of posts : 331

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Matt if Greg will let you I have some Megadeth, Stryper, and Van Halen(David Lee Roth..as if there was anyone else), Iron Maiden if you want to mix it up a little. heheheheh.........Actually David Lee Roth has some bluesy stuff on the "A Little Aint Enough" CD.
Back to top Go down
Matt_Sibley

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 4:01 pm

Actually guys, I am not fishing for tips for my own benefit. I'm fishing for some advice from more experienced judges so that I can provide a better service to those I will be judging at Scrapin the Coast this weekend. I have no intentions of competing in SQ or SPL, but try to support the industry and sport when I can.
Back to top Go down
Iron Maiden
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Iron Maiden

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 5:49 pm

I know this isnt your first rodeo, I dont think you will have a problem. You have done a great job the past few years, I am sure Sketoe wil give you some input if you havent already sent him a pm. He has always give me solid advice and even answered some of my dumbest questions ever.
Back to top Go down
Matt_Sibley

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks Kevon. He is giving me some tips. Sorry for venting, its been a few crazy months at work and with everything else going on I'm a little stressed! Looking forward to hanging out this weekend!
Back to top Go down
Iron Maiden
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Iron Maiden

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeThu Jun 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Vent on my man its good to let it out. Smile
Back to top Go down
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 6:04 pm

I use about 5-10 cds when tuning a car. The comp discs are in there...but not always. A few of the other discs are:
Sting...Ten Sumoners Tales
Dave Mathews...Live at the RedRocks
Mike Stern...Between the Lines
Dave Weckl...various different CDs, his drum sounds are always pretty darn close
Fourplay...Elixir
Peter Gabriel...Live in Italy (I think...2 cd set)
a few personal things I've recorded...or help tune up. A John Williams collection with the Cinn Pops Orch. was a recent addition as well as a couple of Kris Allen tracks since I know the guys sound from being in the booth a couple years ago.
The 97-99 era USAC Sheffield Labs disc
The USAC Focal disc
Some cool stuff I got from Goudy.
The current IASCA disc.
Some cool drum stuff I got from Jorge Juaristi.
LOL...then, I may even jack in my iPod and spin some current top40.
Back to top Go down
Iron Maiden
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Iron Maiden

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeFri Jun 25, 2010 6:17 pm

I have a cd by Dave Weckl and agree AWESOME drums. Matt will have his hands full judging at Scrapin, he always does a great job and really works his tail off.
Back to top Go down
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeSun Jun 27, 2010 10:28 pm

He'll do fine. I'd be glad to let Matt in my car. He knows what's up.
Back to top Go down
Matt_Sibley

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeMon Jun 28, 2010 5:49 pm

Thanks guys! I enjoyed judging SQ at scrapin! I appreciate everyone getting there early on Sunday morning so we could get most of the judging in before the bassheads arrived Smile I hope everyone had a good time and I hope I was able to provide adequate suggestions/explanations to those who asked.
Back to top Go down
Chris's Studio Civic

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 12:28 am

I really recommend spending some time in a recording studio, or sitting in at alot of live concerts. It truly gives you a completely diferrent perspective into what we call....SQ. To be there and participate, or just listen is an amazing experience.
Back to top Go down
TeamTCA
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
TeamTCA

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 11:39 am

Great job at the show Matt. I wish we had more of an SQ turnout but it is what it is. You handled everything just fine bro. Look forward to seeing you in the future. Have a good one.

I would also like to thank and congratulate all the guys from Team Linear Power & Blues. Most of you consistently drive and turn out at these big events to do your part on helping support SQ.

We will see you all in the near future.

Todd Crowder
TCAudio
TeamTCA
Back to top Go down
http://www.tcaudio.net
Matt_Sibley

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 9:36 pm

Chris's Studio Civic wrote:
I really recommend spending some time in a recording studio, or sitting in at alot of live concerts. It truly gives you a completely diferrent perspective into what we call....SQ. To be there and participate, or just listen is an amazing experience.

Thanks Chris. I do not have access to a recording studio although that would certainly be nice! I have been attending as many concerts as I can. Eric Clapton in New Orleans was amazing!
Back to top Go down
Iron Maiden
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Iron Maiden

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeFri Jul 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Chris's Studio Civic wrote:

I have been to some great concerts in my lifetime. I still think I suffered some hearing loss 1987 David Lee Roth Eat Em and Smile tour. Went to Mass the next day with my parents and ears were ringing so loud I could barely hear the Priest.
Of all the concerts I have attended the best bands musically were the Scorpions( 11 on a 10 scale) and The Eagles Hell Freezes over tour.
I apologize in advance for highjacking thread. Wink
Back to top Go down
Matt_Sibley

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm very jealous you got to see the Eagles!
Back to top Go down
Chris's Studio Civic

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 11:13 am

No I totally understand. I was just suggesting it. If you ever get the chance do it. It is fun to be on the front end of creating music and seeing how it is engineered to creat placement in the mix for vocals, guitars, drums, etc.
Back to top Go down
Iron Maiden
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Iron Maiden

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 3:10 pm

No Chris you are right on 100%!!!! I would love to sit in a recording studio, that would be awesome.
Hard to find a good concert these days, especially here on the coast. Every so often a decent show comes to the casino.
Back to top Go down
jsketoe
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 11:26 pm

yup...some know...but I've played drums for years...I've recorded, run pro-sound gigs...whatever. I will say, hands down, mixing live to a picky listener or crowd is way harder than caraudio...but great pro-audio and car audio go hand in hand. Watching what an engineer does to a raw tone or signal is real cool....plus if you can get some hands on, it's way cool. Those guys have to be able to tune in 1min what we do in hours. Cool for sure.
Back to top Go down
OnYrMrk
OnYrMrk

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 12:09 am

I run sound for my brother's band and run sound in my church. I know what is needed to get a good cohesive mix and how to do it...at least I thought I did until I went in to help with their recording of their first CD. MAN there is so much that I am missing! It is totally different to do this in a live venue. You don't have to worry about placement of the instruments mainly due to the visual aspect of the performance. But in a recording studio, you are making a cd, therefore placement is everything for a realistic sound.

My hat is off to anyone who is capable of doing that. I have even thought about going to school to learn this art!
Back to top Go down
6APPEAL

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2010 9:29 am

OnYrMrk wrote:
The Chesky (MECA) version doesn't really emphasize the stomp as much as the Focal Disk.
One reason why I like to use the orginal recording if at all possible. Too many compulation disks re-master/re-mix/alter the orginal recording. And the worst offenders tend to be manufactures.

I've run sound for my church and used to run sound for a buddies band at local gigs. Those experiences proved to me more than any that you can't please all the people all the time. They also helped me better understand how the environment (indoors/outdoors/small room/large room) can drastically effect the sound. I've watched a co-worker's son run a studio soundboard for a recording and it was mind boggling to watch him work.
John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc   disc - Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Favorite Evaluation tracks on SQ disc
Page 1 of 1