Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Port Questuions???????????? Vote_lcapPort Questuions???????????? Voting_barPort Questuions???????????? Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
Port Questuions???????????? Vote_lcapPort Questuions???????????? Voting_barPort Questuions???????????? Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
2010 build quad record 80inches silence records drive stereo Audiopipe disc kyle crank pics state globe songs world louisiana broken finals dollar chef contest Johncarr crzyblondgrl
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Port Questuions????????????

Go down 
+7
shadescustomtint
Duaber
supadave
djtrinity
Sampsonite
Cablguy
FUZ-T.C.C.
11 posters
AuthorMessage
FUZ-T.C.C.
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
FUZ-T.C.C.

Number of posts : 1433
Registration date : 2009-05-06

Port Questuions???????????? Empty
PostSubject: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 12:26 am

Areoports.. What advantages do these have over slot ports? What size is good for a decent number but sounds good daily? Thanks in advance guys!
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/trinitycarclub
Cablguy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Cablguy

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 1:16 am

32 to 40 hz ... may give your cabin freq. 34 to 50 hz ...
use simple 4" pvc round ports ... less resonance freq.ss
Back to top Go down
Sampsonite
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 4:14 am

If it is a flaired port, you have to add 1/3 of the flares lip into the equation.
For example, if you had a 6" aero port, and the od of the flare is 12", you need to add 1/3 of the lip, so 6"+1" (3.5^2*3.14)

If its just straight pvc, then its just ((.5id)^2*3.14)

Then to account for tuning frequency is pretty simple, You just have to take the net vol of the box [Vb] minus the (vent area [Av] times effective length of the port plus the ports end correction [Lv]) to end up with an accurate tuning freq.

so in a nutshell......

Av = vent area
Lv = effective length of vent (effective length = physical length + end correction <---1/2 of the ports width)
Vb= net volume in cubic inches
Fb = tuning frequency

Fb = .159*((Av(1.84*10^8 )/(Vb(Lv+.823*Av^.5))^.5

the most effecient port will have the smallest perameter, and largest port area possible. This can not be achieved with a square, or rectangle port

Moral: Port area depedns on box volume, and a circle port is more effecient than a rectangle port, and aeros are tricky. Lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.MidwestCarAudio.com
djtrinity
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
djtrinity

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 4:32 am

but is it really worth that extra math?
Back to top Go down
FUZ-T.C.C.
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
FUZ-T.C.C.

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 12:14 pm

footlongsam wrote:
If it is a flaired port, you have to add 1/3 of the flares lip into the equation.
For example, if you had a 6" aero port, and the od of the flare is 12", you need to add 1/3 of the lip, so 6"+1" (3.5^2*3.14)

Then to account for tuning frequency is pretty simple, You just have to take the net vol of the box [Vb] minus the (vent area [Av] times effective length of the port plus the ports end correction [Lv]) to end up with an accurate tuning freq.

so in a nutshell......

Av = vent area
Lv = effective length of vent (effective length = physical length + end correction <---1/2 of the ports width)
Fb = tuning frequency

the most effecient port will have the smallest perameter, and largest port area possible. This can not be achieved with a square, or rectangle port

Moral: Port area depedns on box volume, and a circle port is more effecient than a rectangle port, and aeros are tricky. Lol

So how much for you to build or re-do my box sampson????
Back to top Go down
Sampsonite
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 3:29 pm

FUZ-T.C.C.-HK wrote:
footlongsam wrote:

so in a nutshell......

Av = vent area
Fb = tuning frequency

I'd start from scratch. I charge double materials, (ex. $75 in materials= $150 total price. This includes materials like carpet and spray paint)

What are your plans at the moment?

Port Questuions???????????? CivicBox53

Port Questuions???????????? CivicBox66

Port Questuions???????????? 15SML238des3-1

I'm tied up for the next 2 weeks, I have a box for a blowthrough in an Elcamino to do Shocked and one for a hatch integra.. And I have to work around my work and school schedule
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

Number of posts : 3745
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 5:37 pm

what so funny is the pic of the box tha tis 2 pics up i have been thinking of doing a design like that for like 2 years now. still may try it myself just have to get the tuning an port right
Back to top Go down
FUZ-T.C.C.
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
FUZ-T.C.C.

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 7:06 pm

footlongsam wrote:
FUZ-T.C.C.-HK wrote:
footlongsam wrote:

so in a nutshell......

Av = vent area
Fb = tuning frequency

I'd start from scratch. I charge double materials, (ex. $75 in materials= $150 total price. This includes materials like carpet and spray paint)

What are your plans at the moment?

Port Questuions???????????? CivicBox53

Port Questuions???????????? CivicBox66

Port Questuions???????????? 15SML238des3-1

I'm tied up for the next 2 weeks, I have a box for a blowthrough in an Elcamino to do Shocked and one for a hatch integra.. And I have to work around my work and school schedule

Ok so double for materials thats all? I like the box at the top with the port in the middle, But wouldnt you wanna put round ports in it?? As far as the build it will be after the holidays.
Back to top Go down
FUZ-T.C.C.
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
FUZ-T.C.C.

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 7:09 pm

supadave wrote:
what so funny is the pic of the box tha tis 2 pics up i have been thinking of doing a design like that for like 2 years now. still may try it myself just have to get the tuning an port right

Ya we had a test n tune session last weekend and he was telling me about this box...I think it looks nice!
Back to top Go down
FUZ-T.C.C.
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
FUZ-T.C.C.

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 7:11 pm

If i do a rebuild im going back to Trunk class for sure!
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 8:15 pm

FUZ-T.C.C.-HK wrote:
supadave wrote:

Ya we had a test n tune session last weekend and he was telling me about this box...I think it looks nice!

it is a sick design i am just glad someone put it on paper. it has been in my head for awhile now just never said anything about it to anyone just amaze's me that someone else was thinkin like me lol.
funny thing about it is the first port wall will have to be kerfed to get the round outside edge of the sub. the tricky part would be tuning it with the second port wall. how would you get it to work out.
like the other design too with the 3 aero's in the box loading off a sid wall with the sub firing up. have had someone tell me aobut hat one once just never really tried it cause its some sort of bandpass i am thi nging.
Back to top Go down
FUZ-T.C.C.
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
FUZ-T.C.C.

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 9:26 pm

supadave wrote:
FUZ-T.C.C.-HK wrote:
supadave wrote:

it is a sick design i am just glad someone put it on paper. it has been in my head for awhile now just never said anything about it to anyone just amaze's me that someone else was thinkin like me lol.
funny thing about it is the first port wall will have to be kerfed to get the round outside edge of the sub. the tricky part would be tuning it with the second port wall. how would you get it to work out.
like the other design too with the 3 aero's in the box loading off a sid wall with the sub firing up. have had someone tell me aobut hat one once just never really tried it cause its some sort of bandpass i am thi nging.

I dont know how you can tune a port like that,I guess it will be a single chamber inside I dont know???
Back to top Go down
FUZ-T.C.C.
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
FUZ-T.C.C.

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Sampson,this is what i got 2 bb215d Planet audio subs I would like a box to hit mid 150's spl. But be tuned kinda in the middle for daily enjoyment....my box now is supposed to be tuned for 47 htz and i hit 148.1 with a 2000w clamped ...but the amp I have for now I hit 146.7 1000w amp,but currently no big 3 no batts,stock alt....stock everything. I am ordering a ap3000d amp ,2400rms 3000 peak. My amp now is 1000rms 1900 peak .Doing big 3 and adding a batt ,kinetic 2400. Do you think mid 150's is fieasable? With these additions?

But here is the kicker...its gotta look good!
Back to top Go down
Duaber
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Duaber

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 9:50 pm

The first box kinda looks like the Mike Stiers neon box
Back to top Go down
Sampsonite
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 2:46 am

Port Questuions???????????? DSC00830

FUZ-T.C.C.-HK wrote:

Ok so double for materials thats all? I like the box at the top with the port in the middle, But wouldnt you wanna put round ports in it?? As far as the build it will be after the holidays.

Yes sir, I try to be reasonable. If you are even the slightest SPL oriented, I would do port on the side, or if you are wanting to compete in trunk class, I'd do subs up, port up and put the box in the rear of the trunk. I have other Ideas for a SPL setup, These boxes were designed to play music

FUZ-T.C.C.-HK wrote:
If i do a rebuild im going back to Trunk class for sure!

Has the trunk been modified to fit the current box?

supadave wrote:

Just need to find the port volume and keep it constant throughout the entire port. It can be a headache calculating it, but if it is done right, it will pay off in the end

FUZ-T.C.C.-HK wrote:
Sampson,this is what i got 2 bb215d Planet audio subs I would like a box to hit mid 150's spl. But be tuned kinda in the middle for daily enjoyment....my box now is supposed to be tuned for 47 htz and i hit 148.1 with a 2000w clamped ...but the amp I have for now I hit 146.7 1000w amp,but currently no big 3 no batts,stock alt....stock everything. I am ordering a ap3000d amp ,2400rms 3000 peak. My amp now is 1000rms 1900 peak .Doing big 3 and adding a batt ,kinetic 2400. Do you think mid 150's is fieasable? With these additions?

But here is the kicker...its gotta look good!

I believe it is possible. It won't be done in 1 try, or overnight. There are MANY factors that come into play when building a box with high output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-9pdaV_O4U

^^ This was done with $60 subs
Back to top Go down
FUZ-T.C.C.
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
FUZ-T.C.C.

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 6:00 pm

ok cool!
Back to top Go down
FUZ-T.C.C.
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
FUZ-T.C.C.

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 22, 2009 3:57 pm

Oh by the way,i wanna keep the same type of build....foward facing type.
Back to top Go down
Sampsonite
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 10:41 pm

FUZ-T.C.C.-HK wrote:
i got 2 bb215d Planet audio subs

Can you find more perameters on these subs? qts, fs, vas, sd, and driver displacment to be exact....
Back to top Go down
shadescustomtint
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
shadescustomtint

Number of posts : 1631
Registration date : 2007-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 11:36 pm

What are the rules on trunk class because if u can subs facing forward or back but the port firing up through the rear deck worked sick in the last install we just did
Back to top Go down
Matt_Sibley
Above Average Contributor
Above Average Contributor

Number of posts : 957
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeSun Nov 29, 2009 11:59 pm

Mike's neon enclosure was much more complicated than the above drawings. I find it odd you posted the third box in the picture. I built several of those about 3-4 years ago. They are great for high output musical enclosures. You find the same design in about 60% of home theater subwoofer enclosures Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.us.airliquide.com
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Number of posts : 12087
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:03 am

dave there are prefab box's like that one in stores now lol hell not even half a mile from me

and dont wanna put round ports in a trunk but wanna be competitive lol some people will never ever get it
Back to top Go down
aho77
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
aho77

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:18 am

i think the round ports are noisyer and u cant play as much with them like a slot port
Back to top Go down
http://www.ahoaudio.com
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:22 am

lol are you guessing or do you know this for fact?????????

also this is about spl numbers not sq
Back to top Go down
aho77
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
aho77

Number of posts : 326
Registration date : 2009-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:28 am

oh sorry im i know for me the round trying to get less noisy hasnt happend for a every day driver but i know u can get it from slot port as well i personly like slot better
Back to top Go down
http://www.ahoaudio.com
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 12:30 am

slots are nice for driving around town pissing people off and getting tickets

in a trunk though i have had great success out of aero's, and not tubes from home depot cut up
Back to top Go down
slumpinhonda
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
slumpinhonda

Number of posts : 2938

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 2:25 am

im dailying 2 6inch aeros right now and theres no port noise.........

reason behind aeros is simply less turbulance than a slot port...and increases velocity
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 7:59 am

someone wanna get me some port number for this design need a new daily box
Back to top Go down
shadescustomtint
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
shadescustomtint

Number of posts : 1631
Registration date : 2007-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitimeMon Nov 30, 2009 10:12 am

Sub Info please
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Port Questuions????????????   Port Questuions???????????? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Port Questuions????????????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: