Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
New Sub enclosure Please help Vote_lcapNew Sub enclosure Please help Voting_barNew Sub enclosure Please help Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
New Sub enclosure Please help Vote_lcapNew Sub enclosure Please help Voting_barNew Sub enclosure Please help Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
silence record broken pics louisiana drive disc globe records 80inches finals Audiopipe state crzyblondgrl songs build stereo dollar kyle quad chef contest crank world 2010 Johncarr
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

New Sub enclosure Please help

Go down 
+3
supadave
Alan
StreetbeatExpedition
7 posters
AuthorMessage
StreetbeatExpedition
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
StreetbeatExpedition

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-06-09

New Sub enclosure Please help Empty
PostSubject: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2009 2:57 pm

Im thinking about building a new sub enclosure but i want to try aeroports...i really dont know anything about using them. If I build a 6.5cuft enclosure, to tune it to 40 or so hz using 6in ports i came up with this:

6.5 cuft enclosure
2-6in ports 10.25 L
tuned to 40hz

or

6.5 cuft enclosure
3-6in ports 17.5 L
tuned to 40hz

Does this right to you, any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank You,

Brian
Back to top Go down
http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

Number of posts : 3897
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 4:35 pm

yepp... but like ive said before, im a firm believer that port length is power/vehicle/eqpt. dependant for making numbers... music is another story..
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

Number of posts : 3745
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:09 am

hey alan when you say port length is power would you care to elaborate more on that, i have heard that somewhere else before but never really fully understood it. thanks a bunch bro.
Back to top Go down
bruce-bruce
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Number of posts : 1361
Registration date : 2008-06-25

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:32 am

he means its

power, vehicle, woofer/equipment dependant.

not port length=power
Back to top Go down
bruce-bruce
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor

Number of posts : 1361
Registration date : 2008-06-25

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:33 am

as far as port being power, no its not,

what port will do is increase or decrease effieincy of an enclosure if properly or im properly tuned. So in essence if you didnt know any better, you could mistake it for more power because you got louder.?@!!!
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 1:35 pm

yeah, just meant that your whole set up might like a different port length then anothers. that you cant really say. " oh you have this car... tune the box to this freq" and be done.. YOUR set up might enjoy some off the wall port design..
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 6:51 pm

so i suppose the only way to come to a conclusion on port length or port design would be to test different ports. an port lenghts
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 9:57 am

yessir...
Back to top Go down
S.L.A.B.
Above Average Contributor
Above Average Contributor
S.L.A.B.

Number of posts : 571
Registration date : 2008-07-14

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 12:32 pm

supadave wrote:
so i suppose the only way to come to a conclusion on port length or port design would be to test different ports. an port lenghts

There are proper equations to get exact tunes, the vehicle will change it some degree but it shouldn't be to far from the "figured" port volume. Make small changes in port vlolume to find if you need more or less port. Then increase or decrease till you peak.
Back to top Go down
AceFrealy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
AceFrealy

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 1:04 pm

supadave wrote:
hey alan when you say port length is power would you care to elaborate more on that, i have heard that somewhere else before but never really fully understood it. thanks a bunch bro.

Port length is dependent on power. Very slight. If you double you power and don't retune your box your burp freq may change up to 2hz but thats an extreme case.

Its just one of those after you change anything test and retest.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 4:43 pm

im talking about peak SPL... im not going to turn this into a pissing match.. you guys do what you ill do what i do.. but i bet you can look at 5 differents CRXs with 5 completly different port set ups.. and all share pretty close to the same burp Freq..
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 4:47 pm

AceFrealy wrote:
supadave wrote:

Port length is dependent on power. Very slight. If you double you power and don't retune your box your burp freq may change up to 2hz but thats an extreme case.

i said more than just power.. i bet with the same box and ports.. at 1/4 volume/power your car shows a different peak than at full tillt...the more power you pack on a woofer the more you may have to change the port to let it work, or not blow up,or control IMP rise for peak SPL... like i said.. you all are welcome to tune how ever you want..but id like you know how you guys know what note a box tuned to 40 hz peaks at in your car...
Back to top Go down
AceFrealy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
AceFrealy

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 5:44 pm

Alan wrote:
AceFrealy wrote:
supadave wrote:

i said more than just power.. i bet with the same box and ports.. at 1/4 volume/power your car shows a different peak than at full tillt...the more power you pack on a woofer the more you may have to change the port to let it work, or not blow up,or control IMP rise for peak SPL... like i said.. you all are welcome to tune how ever you want..but id like you know how you guys know what note a box tuned to 40 hz peaks at in your car...

I was'nt tring to argue. Just tring to elaborate the power idea for Supadave.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:14 pm

but, did you read my reply? run out side and test it ..
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 6:12 am

hey alan i don't think he was trying to undermind you man he was being helpful an i appreiciate it keith an alan.
i am in the middle of testing now for sb an as much as i hate to say this i have considered burp boxes hell might as well join the crowd rite lol?
i use bass box pro 6 to design my boxes the one i have now is for 2 12's 2.6 or smaller after displacement, using 4 4in aero's at 10 in it would be peak at 63 an has a db drop off at 53hz. thats using aero's which i have heard work great in trunks lol.
the slot port is the one i have to do some work on cause i have to take it out an change port length after every test. any tips guys.
an let me know what you think on the first design , i am thinking of doing a "getting ready for finals build log later" you know i don't keep Dung Pile a secret lol thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 2:41 pm

i personally would start with the ports longer just in case.. 4 4inch ports sounds like alot for just 2.6cubes... unless you mean per sub.

i dont think he was underminding me .. i just think hes wrong ..
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 6:03 pm

well the box is 2.6 cubes total 4 4aero's around 10 in long tunes the box at 63hz
Back to top Go down
AceFrealy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
AceFrealy

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeThu Sep 17, 2009 11:43 pm

Alan wrote:
i personally would start with the ports longer just in case.. 4 4inch ports sounds like alot for just 2.6cubes... unless you mean per sub.

i dont think he was underminding me .. i just think hes wrong ..

I AGREED with you. if I miss worded something correct me other wise WTF.

Supadave Alen is right and 1/4 volume my peak is at 72hz at full I'm at 70hz n the box peak at 1/4 volume 73hz and at full im at 70hz. This is very important for peak spl, I haven't played with street beat. I hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 11:17 am

no im thinking that you just didnt read all of the post. and i dont read where you agreed .. you said it was minimal and an extreme case for it to change with power..

i said its power/eqpt/vehicle dependant .. either way, i have seen alot broader changes in freq..like 72hz 1/4 vol.. 66hz full volume.. the point in all this is. i really dont think you can say .."my car peaks at 65hz.. so i need this box tuned to 58hz" i think your woofer brand..size..and power your using will effect the real life tunning of the box for what that set up personally likes for peak spl.. your box might really like some off the wall port size and length for the simple fact of imp. rise.. most off us never really do the testing to find out "why" the change was louder.. but just know its louder and sometimes give credit to the wrong box change..been working on a crx .. and 3 different port lengths all played the same freq..and very simlular spl scores.. but had a good change in ohm rise.

like angles in corners.. if it happens to gain.. is it because its smoothing out the corners? or fine tuning the enclosure airspace? most really dont know .. .. we just know it helped or not ..
Back to top Go down
AceFrealy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
AceFrealy

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2009 9:57 pm

I agree that tuning is power/equipment/vehicle dependant. I was just tring to elaborate on the power issue. My experince differed from yours. I used the word extreme case because I hadn't seen that much difference before. Not trying to take away from its importance. I used the term slight because the differences I saw were smaller and an easily overlooked change.
I was tring to figure out how was tring to agree with you and was wrong
Your definitely right theres no magic formula for port length for SPL. Theres way to many variables.
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 11:17 am

okay guys was wondering also whats up with box peaking i hear guys talking of this but haven't really seen it done correctly. lets say for instance i have a 3cube box with 2 12's, do i test the box sealed first then go from there, or do i need to start with 2 aero's.

i must say if i haven't already that i use bass box 6 pro an it has been accurate so far on my tuning,
Back to top Go down
AceFrealy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
AceFrealy

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2009 5:37 pm

Theres got to be a better way than the way I do it but if you don't get am answer that you like call me 573 223 2374.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 10:44 am

just build it dave..
Back to top Go down
2003f150
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
2003f150

Number of posts : 2610
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 4:16 pm

Yep build it and test dave period.....on a side not I used 6 4" aeroports in 4 cubes total for 2 9515's in my truck before and it did well. I think 4 4" aero's is a good place to start.
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 7:51 pm

its in the build stage guys but i dont' think the 4' will be enough area for what i want gonna go with sanding an slot port. being doing some testin all nite last nite till my recone i done, the spyder let loose an broke the tinsel leads, come to find out one of spyders was not glued all the way down. oooopppss my bad lol but its fix now an will resume testing an building tomorrow after work.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:05 am

2003f150 wrote:
Yep build it and test dave period.....on a side not I used 6 4" aeroports in 4 cubes total for 2 9515's in my truck before and it did well. I think 4 4" aero's is a good place to start.
surely this was 100% spl? that had to sound like total ass...
Back to top Go down
2003f150
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
2003f150

Number of posts : 2610
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:44 am

Yes alan that was my version of a crx style box but in my F150....it was fun but peaked @ 64hz....not my style at all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Sub enclosure Please help   New Sub enclosure Please help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Sub enclosure Please help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: HOW TO GET LOUD! :: HOW TO GET LOUD!-
Jump to: