Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Replacing windshield.... Vote_lcapReplacing windshield.... Voting_barReplacing windshield.... Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
Replacing windshield.... Vote_lcapReplacing windshield.... Voting_barReplacing windshield.... Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
world records build drive stereo contest crank Audiopipe 2010 chef Johncarr crzyblondgrl state finals 80inches pics songs globe silence louisiana record quad kyle dollar broken disc
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Replacing windshield....

Go down 
+3
taz
John Payton
iowan
7 posters
AuthorMessage
iowan
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
iowan

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Replacing windshield.... Empty
PostSubject: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 1:32 pm

i know many of you have done this.... a few might have in a 2g eclipse... anything special that needs to be done to put this in??? i don't want to pay $300 to have somebody do it
Back to top Go down
John Payton
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
John Payton

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 3:16 pm

i've done it in a 2g dsm, not hard at all just make sure you get all the old urethane scraped off before you go to put the new stuff in and also if you can get the tubes of urethane warmedup real good it speads and comes out of the tube alot easier
Back to top Go down
iowan
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
iowan

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 3:18 pm

hmmm.... thats what i thought but the shop said 3 hours labor... 30 min to do it and 2 1/2 to drink the beer i suppose... what kind of dsm was it
Back to top Go down
John Payton
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
John Payton

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2007-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 3:03 pm

96 eclipse you can get a tool from an auto parts shop that cuts the old urethane out alot faster then wire and it's only like $20
Back to top Go down
taz
Above Average Contributor
taz

Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2007-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 3:10 pm

or take it to your local shop that you visit every week already that supports your audio habit { hint hint }
Back to top Go down
iowan
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
iowan

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 3:20 pm

i didn't think that you sold tools.... lol... ill stop in later
Back to top Go down
taz
taz

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 3:27 pm

to get it installed 279 , new glass , close cut , two tubes urathane , new moulding , labor , quarantee , not that bad .
Back to top Go down
iowan
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
iowan

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 3:33 pm

$150 mark???
Back to top Go down
taz
taz

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 3:40 pm

iowan wrote:
$150 mark???
that is prob my cost so now add labor and markup on glass and that is what keeps custom shops open

hope walmart doesnt start doing glass

it takes about an hour to hour and a hafe to cut out winsheild , trim down to pinch weld , prime pinchweld so it does not rust , let dry , then apply urathane at proper thickness then install glass , then let it set for four hous before driving , if not perfect it will leak air and or water ,
Back to top Go down
AUDIOHYPE
AUDIOHYPE

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 4:01 pm

mark has done a lot of windshields for us and ive seen him do it this is deffinatly not a 1/2 job and is perfect when he is done with him in my opinion he is very resonable on his prices call some other glass shops in the area before u judge his prices i think you will be very surprised
Back to top Go down
iowan
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
iowan

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 4:13 pm

i have called around needless to say and i was just messing with mark... i understand all that it takes and am willing to try it myself... most of you don't know me and right now im trying to cut penny's i know mark understands... the cost of my doing it would be $120.... id rather spend that other 160 on other things... and probably at his shop....
Back to top Go down
AudioAnonymous
AudioAnonymous

Number of posts : 736

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 4:22 pm

How long does it take to put in a windshield for you guys? When I got my Astro windshield replaced last summer it took one guy about 30 minutes in and out of my garage.
Back to top Go down
taz
taz

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 8:05 pm

CactusSounds-Geoff wrote:
How long does it take to put in a windshield for you guys? When I got my Astro windshield replaced last summer it took one guy about 30 minutes in and out of my garage.

maico paints cars in one day for 199 you you take your car there , not me
Back to top Go down
El Jimador
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2007-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2008 9:55 pm

I need my winshield replaced in my Sonoma and I will take it to Mark even if he charged a little more than other places (wich is never the case). Iv'e seen some of the winshields that he's replaced that had already been replaced by some idiot. He runs into that problem quite a bit and it makes it alot harder sometimes. I dont want that happenning to me just to save a little money, then end up having to redo it anyway.
Back to top Go down
AudioAnonymous
AudioAnonymous

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 3:28 am

taz wrote:

maico paints cars in one day for 199 you you take your car there , not me

What does paint have to do with a windshield? It isnt hard to break the seal on a windshield and scrape off some adhesive, put new stuff on and set the window in place?
Back to top Go down
taz
taz

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 10:28 am

my point was that both can be done with cheap material or good material , both can be done quick , look ok for a while , example a close cut means u dont scrape all the urathane [ not adhisive ] down to bare metal , i do ,apply self etching primer (primer should set for 10-12 min. for solvents to evaporate ) let dry , then apply urthane with no air pockets or gaps , (or you will have air noise in car or worse a water leak ) also the windshield has a glass primer to apply as well , next you reinstall glass set to proper depth,etc....that is if there is no rust or shit paint to work around. i am ranting but i have been doing this for 20 years plus , i have had employies that you train then they go out on the road and short cut , i have seen alot of others short cut , 30 min. is not enough , you may get an easy one now and then but that is not the normal , also i only set a windshield with a second person , then both can split gap other wise you get urathane pushed sideways insted of even set , so untill u do for a living please dont second guess those of us that do , i am shur you take pride in what you do for a living as do i .
sorry for ranting and spelling .
Back to top Go down
aphinney
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
aphinney

Number of posts : 1305
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 11:38 am

i wouldnt let anyone else do my windshield other than mark....does great work....
Back to top Go down
AudioAnonymous
AudioAnonymous

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 8:41 pm

Yea it doesn't look very difficult I helped him put the windshield in but he did all the rest while I sat there and watched.
Back to top Go down
iowan
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
iowan

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 9:18 pm

Yea it doesn't look very difficult I helped him put the windshield in but he did all the rest while I sat there and watched.

drinkin all the beer???
Back to top Go down
AudioAnonymous
AudioAnonymous

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 11:56 pm

No I watched to make sure he didnt scratch the paint. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing windshield....   Replacing windshield.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacing windshield....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: