Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Alternator output Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Alternator output Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Alternator output Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Alternator output Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Alternator output Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Alternator output Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Alternator output Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Alternator output Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Alternator output Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Alternator output Vote_lcapAlternator output Voting_barAlternator output Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
Alternator output Vote_lcapAlternator output Voting_barAlternator output Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
dollar Audiopipe kyle 2010 finals contest silence state build disc chef world records stereo crzyblondgrl 80inches drive broken quad globe crank Johncarr songs pics record louisiana
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Alternator output

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
HallMarc
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
HallMarc

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2011-05-08

Alternator output Empty
PostSubject: Alternator output   Alternator output Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2011 10:13 pm

I put a new alternator on my '01 GMC fullsize. The alternator has a 14.8 vset regulator in it, but I'm only getting 13.7 hot/14.1 cold. I've been told that the ecu regulates the voltage. If so, How can I get around this?
Someone said something about a resistor in the harness, but I don't know where or what size resistor, anyone know anything about this?
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
Above Average Contributor
twentyhurtz

Number of posts : 914
Registration date : 2008-09-29

Alternator output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator output   Alternator output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 11:05 am

mechman has a gm voltage regulator pigtail that goes inline with the harness and alternator. From the looks of it, it looks like a pot with heat shrink, but i talked with the guy at mechman and he says its a pot with "protection device", meaning there is probably just a diode in there also, but i do not know the specific values.

Maybe i'm a little lost here or not following you, but what do you mean 13.7 hot / 14.1 cold?
Back to top Go down
HallMarc
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
HallMarc

Alternator output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator output   Alternator output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:18 pm

That's the voltage output at the alternator when its cold (14.1v when you first crank it up) and hot (13.7-13.8v after it runs about 5-10 minutes). When it should be 14.8 cold and around 14.4 hot. Probably a little less at the battery. The alternator has a 4 pin plug on it with 2 wires. A ignition (+) wire which turns the regulator on and a sense wire that controls the output of the regulator. Seems like I remember being able to put a resistor on the sense wire to trick the ecu so it charges higher and keeps the battery light off in the cluster. I guess you could put a diode on the battery wire to prevent a surge and save a couple fuses, but I don't have that to worry about right now, LoL
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

Alternator output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator output   Alternator output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:26 pm

HallMarc wrote:
That's the voltage output at the alternator when its cold (14.1v when you first crank it up) and hot (13.7-13.8v after it runs about 5-10 minutes). When it should be 14.8 cold and around 14.4 hot. Probably a little less at the battery. The alternator has a 4 pin plug on it with 2 wires. A ignition (+) wire which turns the regulator on and a sense wire that controls the output of the regulator. Seems like I remember being able to put a resistor on the sense wire to trick the ecu so it charges higher and keeps the battery light off in the cluster. I guess you could put a diode on the battery wire to prevent a surge and save a couple fuses, but I don't have that to worry about right now, LoL

ok, engine temperature, you are referring to voltage output while the IACV (or whatever GM calls it) is doing its job and then closed. I don't know about anyone else, but almost every vehicle i have ever seen had an alt output (stock) of 13.8 at idle.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Alternator output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator output   Alternator output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 2:48 pm

Not sure about GM, but Ford uses 3-pin harness. All analog.
send - Unswitched battery voltage
send - regulator control
return - load indicator

If you can probe the regulator control signal... and map out a few points to make:
ALT Volts = f(REG CON Volts)

You could easily boost or drop the signal voltage to match your needs.

Barret is most likely correct, the only protection you would want is fusing and diode, so a spike won't mess with your computer.

BTW, IACV is usually used to denote idle air control valve signal. Not sure what it means in GM-speak, but I'm guess it's the regulator control signal.
Back to top Go down
HallMarc
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
HallMarc

Alternator output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator output   Alternator output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 3:02 pm

twentyhurtz wrote:
ok, engine temperature, you are referring to voltage output while the IACV (or whatever GM calls it) is doing its job and then closed. I don't know about anyone else, but almost every vehicle i have ever seen had an alt output (stock) of 13.8 at idle.

I'm not referring to engine temperature, I'm referring to the alternator itself. Your alternator gets hot as it works. And its not a stock alternator.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Alternator output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator output   Alternator output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 3:08 pm

Which is precisely why people put ice packs on their alternators and heat blankets around their batteries. Temperature plays a big factor. My DC alt keeps 14.6-14.7 hot, cold, low load, high load. Best alt I've ever seen, though there are alot quality alts.
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

Alternator output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator output   Alternator output Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 3:11 pm

well when i was referring to IACV, i know on a honda, its a physical valve that remains open to allow air to bypass the TB into the manifold, causing the engine to idle higher (more voltage output from alt), then once the coolant absorbs enough heat from the engine and becomes hot, the IACV, by sensor closes and shuts off the airflow which was bypassing the TB, allowing a stock idle.
If your directly referring to the alt being hot or cold, well heat reduces efficiency if that's what you are referring to is an energy loss.

Either way concerning the matter, yes i'm sure you can find a diagram online. i am on gmfullsize.com and there are not tons of electronically inclined people on there, but there maybe a schematic floating around. Making your own will be better than paying a bill for a Pot and diode any day. I know i will be doing the same soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alternator output Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator output   Alternator output Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alternator output
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: