Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
what do you think of these? Vote_lcapwhat do you think of these? Voting_barwhat do you think of these? Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
what do you think of these? Vote_lcapwhat do you think of these? Voting_barwhat do you think of these? Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
drive 2010 Johncarr dollar crzyblondgrl records 80inches silence finals record pics quad state disc chef globe songs kyle crank stereo build broken world Audiopipe contest louisiana
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

what do you think of these?

Go down 
+9
supadave
Twisted Image
ezmoney
schrummy
poundstone
bduf
twentyhurtz
DMAN
chrisfish
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

Number of posts : 6521
Registration date : 2009-05-16

what do you think of these? Empty
PostSubject: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 9:56 pm

what do you think of these? 2011-06-26_17-35-01_972
custom 8 layer 6 stiff spiders carbon fiber dust caps
Back to top Go down
DMAN
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
DMAN

Number of posts : 2007
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 10:01 pm

well do they work?
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/darrenlaffan
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 10:11 pm

I am waiting for a oscope before I test. I am wanting to try it with a slight clip instead of a hard clip like like in the worst I have seen thread with the burn holes! Lol. Do you have one?
Back to top Go down
DMAN
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
DMAN

Number of posts : 2007
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 11:05 pm

no sir I dont.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/darrenlaffan
twentyhurtz
Above Average Contributor
twentyhurtz

Number of posts : 914
Registration date : 2008-09-29

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 11:09 pm

chrisfish wrote:
I am waiting for a oscope before I test. I am wanting to try it with a slight clip instead of a hard clip like like in the worst I have seen thread with the burn holes! Lol. Do you have one?

you know you can make a voltage divider with 2 resistors, and use a laptop with a good sound card with a microphone input and feed the a/c signal into the pc using a RTA program, basically sampling the audio wave from you amp to see if its clipping or not. I'm actually about to build one for a laptop soon since i don't want to fork up the money for an o-scope.
Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 26, 2011 11:52 pm

twentyhurtz wrote:
chrisfish wrote:

you know you can make a voltage divider with 2 resistors, and use a laptop with a good sound card with a microphone input and feed the a/c signal into the pc using a RTA program, basically sampling the audio wave from you amp to see if its clipping or not. I'm actually about to build one for a laptop soon since i don't want to fork up the money for an o-scope.
No I haven't! But I will check it out on youtube when I get time.
Back to top Go down
bduf
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 1:14 am

Subs look great.
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 8:21 am

chrisfish wrote:
twentyhurtz wrote:
chrisfish wrote:

No I haven't! But I will check it out on youtube when I get time.

I didn't think about looking on youtube, not sure if it is online, I work in an Engineering group and my boss is an electronics engineer too and and old school home audio freak, he was telling me about it the other day when i was telling him about getting a scope. If you need i can probably get you a schematic on how to build one.. It would probably cost about $5 to build in hardware.
Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 9:02 am

Sounds good! $5 is my kind of expenses. Lol
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2010-06-05

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 12:34 pm

hell yeah looks good and lmk if that works for the scope would be nice not to buy 1.lol
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:36 pm

i won't get to put up a schematic until tomorrow. Basically your just putting 2 resistors in parallel with the sub. A typical sound card microphone input may accept up to a 2v AC input, and if your amp's rail voltage is say 40v ac, then you need to attenuate the amplitude of the signal to below 2v.
You want to drop the 40v ac signal to say a 1v (example) ac sample for the sound card, so your goal is to create a <2vac signal. These are not typical resistor values but bear with me, if you had a resistor that was 1150 ohms, and a second resistor that was 50 ohms, these together in series across the amps + and - terminals, this creates a 1200 ohm load. You now have a 1200 ohm load in parallel with your sub load, say 1ohm for example. 1200 ohms and 1ohm in parallel is 0.999 ohms, not enough to make a difference to your amp. Also, 1200 ohms even on your beefy amp is only gonna allow about 33 milli-amps of current to flow through the resistors, not enough to hurt them if your using 1/4 watt resistors.
Now, you have your 2 resistors in series, hook the larger load 1150 ohms to the + and the 50 ohm load to the - terminal. The 1150 ohm load is going to drop the voltage from the + signal down to 1.6 V ac, this is what the voltage divider setup was for. so now you can meter between the resistors and the amps - terminal and read 1.6 V ac with 33 milli amps of current for only 50 milli-watts (0.050 watts). This small load is something that you can input into a computer micro phone input, while driving your subs full load.
Not sure of a good software program to use yet to sample the wave, i know some laptops have a program or i think you can use Audacity.. anyways this is just kinda my thoughts on it and letting you know whats involved, but i will get a real drawing made up and another thing, depending on what your rail voltage is, etc will obviously change what resistor value you will need and what your sound card can handle, so i can work with you on it if you have that information at least to help figure up what parts to get for this.

Last edited by twentyhurtz on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2011 2:53 pm

ok i lied, i made up a quick little one in paint, hope this clears up any confusion i probably caused.

what do you think of these? Pc_sco12

Although this would not be exact, 1150 and 50 are not typical resistors sizes, it was just an example, and think of the voltage divider as a variable resistor.
Back to top Go down
schrummy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
schrummy

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2009-07-01

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 1:25 pm

sorry fish to thread jack....

got a couple questions....

so say i clamp my wire to my subs and it reads 100 volts (AC) and 50 amps (AC) for a total of 5000 watts....... and say i started at 1 ohm..... (For use of the schematic...) i would base my calculations off of 1 ohm instead of my rise to 2 ohms.....

and i would also base my resistors off of my 100 volts????

then get a pair of old headphones, cut them to get to the 3.5mm jack and just connect my wires off the resistors to the 3.5 plug????

plug it into my computer, open it into a program so i can see the wave and done????
if this is right.....

will have one built by the weekend...
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 1:55 pm

schrummy wrote:
sorry fish to thread jack....

got a couple questions....

so say i clamp my wire to my subs and it reads 100 volts (AC) and 50 amps (AC) for a total of 5000 watts....... and say i started at 1 ohm..... (For use of the schematic...) i would base my calculations off of 1 ohm instead of my rise to 2 ohms.....

and i would also base my resistors off of my 100 volts????

then get a pair of old headphones, cut them to get to the 3.5mm jack and just connect my wires off the resistors to the 3.5 plug????

plug it into my computer, open it into a program so i can see the wave and done????
if this is right.....

will have one built by the weekend...

In order to properly chose the correct resistor values, a little math will have to be done first.
1. Check your rail voltage, play a test tone/burp at your peak or where you normally test at, Rail voltage is what i would need to know.
2. Second thing i would need to know is the model of your PC's sound card. Some sound cards can accommodate this, some maybe be too cheap to do so, but i believe most mid level cards can. Once the model number of the sound card is known, .pdf schematics can be found, and the input sensitivity for the card needs to be determined.
3. Once you know the safe zone of voltage input into your microphone jack of the computer, you can then calculate to find a goal input voltage. It's just like an amp, well it is an amp, your pc will amplify the signal from a microphone and just like an amp, that signal can become clipped, so goal for 50%-75% of max card input.

I do not think impedance rise will play much on this test, if it does rise from say 1 to 3ohms, your subs dc resistance in parallel with the voltage divider (say 1200 Ω for example) will only rise from .999 to 2.992 (calculated), so there will be no noticeable difference having the voltage divider load there, the resistance is so high it basically allows a trickle of current while the rest of it flows to the subs. The subs and amp will not even know its there!

In my illustration i used 1200 ohms, but as stated, its just an example resistance and a well rounded number, these will not be exact and you need to find out more about your pc's sound card and your amp before buying parts, but with what you are asking, yes, find a microphone/head phone jack to sacrifice and hack off, and 2 resistors which are stupid cheap at radio shack.

You may even have to play with the resistors some or change values if too high of a signal is entering the sound card, keep in mind you do not want it clipping at the sound card or you will not read correctly, but if you feed in the correct safe signal range, you will be able to view your amps signal form in order to help you set your gain.

I know this may sound like a lot but its really not, it just take a little planning and figuring out before doing so.
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 28, 2011 2:15 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_divider

Also, let me take a step back and change a thought on something. I made mention of using a pc sound card microphone input, but if you have a signal input as opposed to a microphone input, i think that would work better.

But i do not suggest you jump ahead and try this just yet, I'm trying to ensure that this will be safe for the pc before i recommend someone else do this, but I'm laying out the format so it is known how to do it. I would rather try this first myself before any of you guys try it, that way if something doesn't work right, i do not have anyone blaming me for something not working right.
Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 11:30 pm

DMAN wrote:
well do they work?
they do ok!. what do you think of these? 2011-07-15_17-32-35_427
Back to top Go down
ezmoney
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
ezmoney

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2011-06-18

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 17, 2011 11:56 pm

That's bad-ass, fish!
Back to top Go down
ezmoney
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
ezmoney

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 am

and exactly, what the hell is an oscope? What risk is there in running the subs without it?
I'm amazed with you guys! I keep reading this thread and still f'n lost.

crawling back under my rock now...
Back to top Go down
Twisted Image
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Twisted Image

Number of posts : 1111
Registration date : 2007-06-21

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:29 am

lanes.......................do it there................or GTFO
Back to top Go down
Twisted Image
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
Twisted Image

Number of posts : 1111
Registration date : 2007-06-21

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 12:32 am

BTW.................

what do you think of these? DSCF0363

GET FORKIN CRACKIN!!!!!!

TEAM FORK FTMFW!
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

Number of posts : 3745
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:15 pm

Twisted Image wrote:
BTW.................

what do you think of these? DSCF0363

GET FORKIN CRACKIN!!!!!!

TEAM FORK FTMFW!

man why you posting alan hall's finals score up as your own from last year jeff thats low even for you.

ezmoney an oscope is a device that you use to check yyur signals to see if your clipping or not basically in a nutshell.
steve meade has this thing now that is like half the price of an osope an not as big an easy to use an from what he put in his vids is not far off if any at all from the oscope. get on his site an check it out its actually pretty cool an i am thinking about getting myself one.

an fish when you gonna stop puttin deadner in your boxes is that really helping i am just curious cause i see it in all of your boxes
Back to top Go down
ezmoney
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
ezmoney

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:28 pm

Yeah, had to look it up today, it was killing me to find out what it was. Found a damn good article on setting gains & such. Thanks Supadave!
Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 3:30 pm

This box only gained .4 with the 10 mill audio wrap over the resin. But I need everything I can get with chilli posting up scores like that in 0-1000. I wonder if 0-1000 will be louder than 1001+this year?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

Number of posts : 3897
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:04 pm

It wont..
Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 4:18 pm

I only say that because I don't think anyone is in 1000+.
In 0-1000case there is alan ,shrummy,Ruperto and myself. Who is going big?
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2010-06-05

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 5:00 pm

god i really wish my girl would let me drop my system in her car just for fun to see how good it would do. i havent seen anyone use 1 so idk.lol
Back to top Go down
chapdawg1971
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
chapdawg1971

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2011-03-08

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 6:41 pm

chrisfish wrote:
I only say that because I don't think anyone is in 1000+.
In 0-1000case there is alan ,shrummy,Ruperto and myself. Who is going big?

I'm trying, hopefully a 53+ at Heatwave coming up.
Back to top Go down
mrbashful210
mrbashful210

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 pm

you gunna be tere chapdog?
Back to top Go down
chapdawg1971
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
chapdawg1971

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2011-03-08

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Yes Sir!! Hopefully with a surprise or two.....prolly just one.
Back to top Go down
mrbashful210
mrbashful210

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 18, 2011 11:05 pm

see you there.. i more likely wont compete though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what do you think of these?   what do you think of these? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what do you think of these?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: