Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Vote_lcapacceptable amount of impedance rise? Voting_baracceptable amount of impedance rise? Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
acceptable amount of impedance rise? Vote_lcapacceptable amount of impedance rise? Voting_baracceptable amount of impedance rise? Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
dollar 80inches record kyle finals songs world contest drive 2010 chef crzyblondgrl state pics louisiana Johncarr silence crank quad globe Audiopipe records broken disc build stereo
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

acceptable amount of impedance rise?

Go down 
+3
XFL-Leader
sanman
twentyhurtz
7 posters
AuthorMessage
twentyhurtz
Above Average Contributor
twentyhurtz

Number of posts : 914
Registration date : 2008-09-29

acceptable amount of impedance rise? Empty
PostSubject: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 10:52 am

ok, we all hate imp rise, but how much is considered bad or abnormally high? Have some of you veterans determined a percentile of impedance rise that is common or very high? I would consider 0.4 or less to be excellent (or maybe I'm wrong, and depending on the "goal" resistance how much the margin or % should be) but what is just way too much? I built a box for a friend and clamped his amp this weekend, i have the gain barely up because his sub is a little more than half the rms of the amp.

His sub is a Dual 2ohm 12" L7 wired in parallel, i barely cranked the gain up and clamped 695w rms on a 60hz tone
40.9 VAC
17 amperes
= 2.4 resistance

Amp: ED Nine.1
manufacture rating 450w x1@4, 900w x1 @2, 1200w x 1@1ohm @12.5v

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The only idea i have right off the top of my head to help attenuate this rise is upgrade his speaker wire a little, we used 14 AWG for starters and I'm going to bump him up to 10 AWG. Any idea's or input? Comments? Insults or criticism?
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Number of posts : 12087
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 11:12 am

alot of amplifiers wont like .4 after rise and would most likely clippy

i have always told myself that 1.4-.9 is where i wanna be after rise this has always been where i saw the most power from my amplifiers on 16v

now on 12v its a differant story since you can run with less rise due to having less voltage
Back to top Go down
XFL-Leader
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
XFL-Leader

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-06-30

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:23 pm

Keep in mind that your lowest impedence will occur at box tuning. If you tuned your box to 40hz, then your nominal imp plus a little will occur at 40hz. At 60hz it could be anywhere from 2 -8ohm. The imp rise depends on the box size and port tuning.
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:33 pm

sanman wrote:
alot of amplifiers wont like .4 after rise and would most likely clippy

i have always told myself that 1.4-.9 is where i wanna be after rise this has always been where i saw the most power from my amplifiers on 16v

now on 12v its a differant story since you can run with less rise due to having less voltage

I mispoke i guess, i didn't mean .4 after rise, i meant .4 on top of the dc resistance load. I forgot to measure the dc resistance of the coils in parallel, i'm sure they are readying .8-1.2 ish, and i'm seeing a double that in impedance.
I'm going to up my wire size to hopefully reduce the voltage drop and maybe put a layer of glass inside the box to see if it smooths things out. I used 3 4" aero's to help prevent turbulence and rounded edges here and there. After i cut the amp off i measured the resistance of the speaker wire at the amp, while still connected and read 1.5 ohms. I didn't trust the reading much because i do not know if it is also reading a parallel resistance inside the amp as well.
Also, you say you want 1.4-.9 after rise, but is this wiring down to a half ohm load?
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:35 pm

XFL-Leader wrote:
Keep in mind that your lowest impedence will occur at box tuning. If you tuned your box to 40hz, then your nominal imp plus a little will occur at 40hz. At 60hz it could be anywhere from 2 -8ohm. The imp rise depends on the box size and port tuning.
]

Just playing around with this box for now to see what it does, it's tuned in the upper 50's because my friend wants to try a little 0-600 to see what happens. I'm trying to get him interested in spl. H has a 3rd gen eclipse and i heard those resonate in the mid 50's. I'm thinking about dropping his box resonating freq down after we get on the meter to get a base reading.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Number of posts : 12087
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:52 pm

actually my sdime almost always had 1.2 in rise no matter what my starting ohm load was

the cactus pf600.1 at .25 would rise to .9 but that was due to lack of power ill guess, but was quite impressive
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 1:59 pm

so, no need to freak out if i'm rising from 1.2 up to 2.4 ish.. which is 2 times as much resistive load. In which your saying in some cases you saw over triple.

I guess all i can really do is live with it and improve where possible.

Now.. ready for a possible dumb question? Sure you are...

Seeing as how the vehicle is an extension of the box.. you think it possible was a bad idea that i took these reading while the back hatch was open? I guess i should have crawled in to the back seat and done this with the hatch closed..
Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

Number of posts : 6521
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 2:23 pm

Yea close it! Even closing the door a little will change tuning and rise!
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 2:25 pm

Well, personal fail then.. guess i get to re-do this..
Back to top Go down
The_Rowlands
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
The_Rowlands

Number of posts : 7398
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 2:52 pm

i got almost a 3 ohm rise ....lol
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 3:06 pm

The_Rowlands wrote:
i got almost a 3 ohm rise ....lol

what was the dc resistance?
Back to top Go down
schrummy
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
schrummy

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2009-07-01

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 3:28 pm

for me right now i start at 1 and go to 2.9 to 3.4 depending on how i stand/sit at the door.

back when i was using a us-2000x at 4 ohms i was rising to around 12 ohms... lol

best part, still got 1000 watts out of it....
Back to top Go down
twentyhurtz
twentyhurtz

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 3:37 pm

well rising from 1 ohm dc to an impedance of 3 is no different than 4 to 12 as far as the amp is concerned, but i guess as long as you still got your true rms power, then no worries..
Sadly, out of the thousands of setups i have installed working at shops, i never had clamped an amp or tested for an actual impedance load, because it never really mattered, and back when i competed i was 18-19 years old and had not gotten my electronics degree yet, so i didn't even understand the difference between resistance and impedance.
Now that i am actually trying to get down to business on this, i was just curious what kind of improvements people have seen and have improved from there starting rise, doing this and that to attenuate it, and what kind of improvements have been made.. killing off half the rise? barely any...
Back to top Go down
2003f150
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
2003f150

Number of posts : 2610
Registration date : 2007-09-12

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 10:35 am

I normally see 3-4x my nominal imp....example wired to .25 I rose to .82
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: acceptable amount of impedance rise?   acceptable amount of impedance rise? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

acceptable amount of impedance rise?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: