Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Power Compression Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Power Compression Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Power Compression Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Power Compression Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Power Compression Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Power Compression Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Power Compression Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Power Compression Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Power Compression Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Power Compression Vote_lcapPower Compression Voting_barPower Compression Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
Power Compression Vote_lcapPower Compression Voting_barPower Compression Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
Johncarr disc silence state kyle crzyblondgrl world 80inches 2010 drive pics broken chef louisiana Audiopipe quad songs finals crank record contest dollar records stereo build globe
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Power Compression

Go down 
+2
chrisfish
chrisbaldelli
6 posters
AuthorMessage
chrisbaldelli
Above Average Contributor
chrisbaldelli

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 9:42 pm

What is it?

What causes it?

My best guess: At low power, you add power and you get more output (x2 power = 2-3dB). Efficiency depends on box size, coil temperature, motor strength, and lots of stuff... so it eventually rolls off. After a point, the woofer can't produce much more output for a given box/port combo, no matter how much power you throw at it.

Heard the term used by Lakota and Papermaker on CA.com
Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

Number of posts : 6521
Registration date : 2009-05-16

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:00 pm

I had this issue with the sub up port up box I used at finals. I had the same score when I put in 7 power master d1000's. From the 2 nsb 100's not even 1 tenth gain.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:07 pm

2 choices:
- battery power wasn't your bottleneck
- the added power didn't give you any more dB's

I still don't know what power compression is though... just a hypothesis with no facts or physics. pirat
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Number of posts : 12087
Registration date : 2007-06-23

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 10:30 pm

ehhhhhh

think of it like this in fish's situation
2 12's firing up well how far is the nearest flat surface pressure going out the port allows the subs to move pretty easily untill you have pressure not escaping fast enough now what would cause this back pressure on the cones not allowing them to move like they once did the more power you add the more pressure your adding to the cone as well not allowing the subs to have max excursion

this is something that draggers battle alot due to being totally sealed thats why they run alot more port than we do to eliminate this

Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

Number of posts : 6521
Registration date : 2009-05-16

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeThu Feb 24, 2011 11:59 pm

You might make 10000 posts before you disappear again...
Back to top Go down
Chris Team ACT

Number of posts : 564
Registration date : 2009-01-31

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:33 am

sanman wrote:
ehhhhhh

think of it like this in fish's situation
2 12's firing up well how far is the nearest flat surface pressure going out the port allows the subs to move pretty easily untill you have pressure not escaping fast enough now what would cause this back pressure on the cones not allowing them to move like they once did the more power you add the more pressure your adding to the cone as well not allowing the subs to have max excursion

this is something that draggers battle alot due to being totally sealed thats why they run alot more port than we do to eliminate this

X2
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 12:41 am

Thanks Sanman,

So... if the cone can't create a differential pressure (add energy to the air), the amplitude at the microphone probably will stagnate.

It happens because of the acoustic energy is greater than the surrounding air's ability to absorb. This is due to insufficient motor force, cone stiffness, or air flow. I'm sure that temperature, internal woofer losses, and poor air flow don't help either.

Gracias Senor.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 8:16 am

you use big ass words man you forget im an uneducated army boiiii Smile

more port could eleviate this or a bigger box
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 1:12 pm

I just re-read that post... and I sound like a total nerd. I wasn't trying to show off, but that's the most accurate way I know how to say what I meant. Engineers must live with the curse of over-analyzing everything and speaking a different language from the rest of the world.

How about this for a simplified analogy - amp/sub = air pump. You input energy, and you get pressure out. A pump (or sub) with a strong motor will be capable of driving higher pressures. Pressure can build up in 2 ways: full-system pressure or from flow constrictions (in-box or out-of-box).

Full-system pressure is generally not the problem, except for Super Modified extreme vehicles. If it is... get a stronger motor. Flow constrictions are sometimes good... for loading and tuning impedance rise. In general, flow restrictions lead to inefficiency, so keep things smooth and open. Bracing, corners, and ports. Make sure there are no bottlenecks in the flow around the box. Hopefully, this will minimize the restrictions, and bring you closer to the full-system pressure limit.

PS - My uncle is about to retire from the Army. Apache helicopter maintenance and training, staff sergeant (iirc). By far one of the smartest guys I know, and he never finished college. Experience trumps education almost every time. Thanks for however many years of service you gave.
Back to top Go down
sanman
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
sanman

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 1:29 pm

hey we got something in common i retire next july from a.d. army
Back to top Go down
outsideshot23

Number of posts : 638
Registration date : 2009-09-13

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 4:27 pm

chrisbaldelli wrote:
I just re-read that post... and I sound like a total nerd. I wasn't trying to show off, but that's the most accurate way I know how to say what I meant. Engineers must live with the curse of over-analyzing everything and speaking a different language from the rest of the world.

How about this for a simplified analogy - amp/sub = air pump. You input energy, and you get pressure out. A pump (or sub) with a strong motor will be capable of driving higher pressures. Pressure can build up in 2 ways: full-system pressure or from flow constrictions (in-box or out-of-box).

Full-system pressure is generally not the problem, except for Super Modified extreme vehicles. If it is... get a stronger motor. Flow constrictions are sometimes good... for loading and tuning impedance rise. In general, flow restrictions lead to inefficiency, so keep things smooth and open. Bracing, corners, and ports. Make sure there are no bottlenecks in the flow around the box. Hopefully, this will minimize the restrictions, and bring you closer to the full-system pressure limit.

PS - My uncle is about to retire from the Army. Apache helicopter maintenance and training, staff sergeant (iirc). By far one of the smartest guys I know, and he never finished college. Experience trumps education almost every time. Thanks for however many years of service you gave.
I have had more boxes then not lose when i 45 the corners. i always build it without thenn test and most always lose.. it changes the tuning but i test a wide range of frequencies to be sure and almost always lose a few tenths?
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeMon Feb 28, 2011 5:39 pm

No way of knowing whether it's due to smaller box size... or different flow characteristics. I've heard that from alot of people, though.

Maybe it's similar to the tailgate myth for trucks, how you get better fuel economy with the tailgate up. Air flow may be less efficient in the corners, but it will create a pocket of turbulence that allows smooth flow around it.

Any other opinions? wild guesses?
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2010-06-05

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitimeTue Mar 01, 2011 10:29 am

i actually just lost a whole db by 45 and resining my box! think its more to do with tuning changes but it did go down. building a new box next week!lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Power Compression Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Compression   Power Compression Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Power Compression
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: