Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Passive Radiators for SPL? Vote_lcapPassive Radiators for SPL? Voting_barPassive Radiators for SPL? Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
Passive Radiators for SPL? Vote_lcapPassive Radiators for SPL? Voting_barPassive Radiators for SPL? Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
dollar state 2010 chef world 80inches records record drive Audiopipe build stereo finals pics songs kyle broken Johncarr crank globe contest crzyblondgrl louisiana quad silence disc
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Passive Radiators for SPL?

Go down 
+7
bojangles
Jeff Sanford
DJMDMA
Mark Brus
scionsoloxb
chrisfish
chrisbaldelli
11 posters
AuthorMessage
chrisbaldelli
Above Average Contributor
chrisbaldelli

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Passive Radiators for SPL? Empty
PostSubject: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:13 am

Just curious if it has ever been attempted.

Passive radiator theory sez: Pretend the drone cone is a giant port. The port area is the Sd of the cone. The port volume is dictated by the amount of mass loaded on the drone cone (equivalent to air mass within the imaginary port). You can stuff a monster amount of port area into a small space by swapping air mass for cone mass.

So, has it been attempted? Was it successful?
Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

Number of posts : 6521
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:25 am

I never would do it. But I have friends in sq that use them. They add some.
Back to top Go down
scionsoloxb
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
scionsoloxb

Number of posts : 4832
Registration date : 2007-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 am

heck fish its only jan and u made 200000 boxes so far.. whats 1 more going to hurt....try it!
Back to top Go down
chrisfish
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
chrisfish

Number of posts : 6521
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:32 am

Lol. Yea ..I only try what I think will gain. And I think a port is more effective ..
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 12:39 am

People say that if you can manage the port area, a vented box is more efficient.

I'm imagining a SB1 system that has 2 active 10's... and 6 10" PR's (normal 2-3 cf rectangular box). For $60 on P-E you will have a port area of 3 * Sd ... 1800 sq in of port. That's a 25" diameter circular port from a tame looking 2-3 cf box.

Plus it would make me giggle to watch a box "explode" when you burp... like when Daffy Duck eats dynamite on the old cartoons.
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:07 am

Interesting link about head-to-head comparison. Apparently, when you tune them the same... PR and Ported have almost identical response. The only acoustic differences are from the physical differences between a port and a drone cone.

LINK to comparison

It may not revolutionize SPL... but then again, it may. Idea
Back to top Go down
Mark Brus
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Mark Brus

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2010-12-25

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:14 am

chrisbaldelli wrote:
Just curious if it has ever been attempted.

Passive radiator theory sez: Pretend the drone cone is a giant port. The port area is the Sd of the cone. The port volume is dictated by the amount of mass loaded on the drone cone (equivalent to air mass within the imaginary port). You can stuff a monster amount of port area into a small space by swapping air mass for cone mass.

So, has it been attempted? Was it successful?

Am I retarded? This makes absolutely no sense to me, way over my head.
Far as I know a passive radiator gives your subwoofer a little more freedom (like a port does) but doesn't let some of the crappy sounds out that ports can create. So IMO only useful in SQ setups.
Back to top Go down
DJMDMA

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:49 am

We have seen increases back in the day with some Crossfire.
2 15's
and 4 15" radiators
gained about 3.2db
Back to top Go down
Mark Brus
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Mark Brus

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:56 am

DJMDMA wrote:
2 15's
and 4 15" radiators
gained about 3.2db

Gained 3.2 db from sealed to passive radiator or from ported to passive radiator or did you have a port and a passive radiator?
Back to top Go down
DJMDMA

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 1:58 am

From port to sealed passive
Just the overall moving mass help alot from the radiators
Back to top Go down
Mark Brus
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Mark Brus

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:03 am

I guess I can understand that. The radiators are actually acting like subs, so in a sense its like gaining cone area. Where you from in Iowa? Do we know each other?
Back to top Go down
DJMDMA

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:04 am

I am on the Omaha NE border.
I am sure I met you before but man the past 10 years have been a blur
Back to top Go down
Jeff Sanford
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor

Number of posts : 459
Registration date : 2007-06-23

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:19 am

DJMDMA wrote:
2 15's
and 4 15" radiators
gained about 3.2db

Was that in a Dodge Neon?
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks for posting DJMDMA! 3.2 dB is a pretty ridiculous gain.

I'm guessing the success is alot like why we fiberglass boxes and round corners... When pressures get high, small inefficiencies become large problems. With PR, you're reducing the peak pressures inside the box by converting the energy into a low pressure, high surface area vibration... very similar to why walls and Street A boxes work.

From what I understand, you need an SPL sub (one that has enough suspension to stay stable without air stiffness from a box). Most people recommend a 2:1 ratio of PR:cone area, and attempting to match the actively displaced air (Sd of woofers * Xmech of woofers = Sd of PRs * Xmech of PRs).

To clarify the theory, ported boxes use the air volume within the port to change the phase of the back wave (sound in the box) into something useful. It's tuned at a specific frequency, which is directly related to the perceived mass of air within the port volume. That's why tuning frequencies change with temperature and altitude.

PR's work very similarly but instead of an air mass, it's metal weights attached to a freely moving cone. The port area is analogous to the Sd of the cone. The port volume is analogous to the total weight of the PR (Mms+added weight). Ie, tuning is lowered with more weight.
Back to top Go down
Mark Brus
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Mark Brus

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 2:12 pm

I was starting to understand then you wanted to clarify and you lost me after that.
Back to top Go down
bojangles
bojangles

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 1:02 am

chrisbaldelli wrote:
People say that if you can manage the port area, a vented box is more efficient.

I'm imagining a SB1 system that has 2 active 10's... and 6 10" PR's (normal 2-3 cf rectangular box). For $60 on P-E you will have a port area of 3 * Sd ... 1800 sq in of port. That's a 25" diameter circular port from a tame looking 2-3 cf box.

Plus it would make me giggle to watch a box "explode" when you burp... like when Daffy Duck eats dynamite on the old cartoons.

You may want to get clarification on the rules before you try this. I would think the passive radiators would count towards your number of subs. confused
Back to top Go down
dbdaddy
dbdaddy

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 9:36 am

instead of more or less weight, would a stiffer PR lower tuning? maybe adjustable stiffness PRs (if thats possible, im sure its not impossible) would allow the tuning to be changed on the fly, (or electricly as freq changes. (that would be superfly) creating a big flat response. Watch ya think?
Back to top Go down
dbdaddy
dbdaddy

Number of posts : 821
Registration date : 2009-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 9:40 am

bojangles wrote:
chrisbaldelli wrote:

You may want to get clarification on the rules before you try this. I would think the passive radiators would count towards your number of subs. confused

yeah, i thought of that last year. imagine a huge rectangular passive radiator that covered the whole b pillar and had 2 foot of excursion. then stuff 20 woofers behind it and make it dance. probably would be like a 4th order w/ no port.
Back to top Go down
Mark Brus
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
Mark Brus

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 05, 2011 8:35 pm

dbdaddy wrote:
instead of more or less weight, would a stiffer PR lower tuning? maybe adjustable stiffness PRs (if thats possible, im sure its not impossible) would allow the tuning to be changed on the fly, (or electricly as freq changes. (that would be superfly) creating a big flat response. Watch ya think?

I don't think a passive radiator is going to affect your tuning. Your still going to need a port for that. As far as it being legal, I'm sure it is, the only thing might be if it looks like a subwoofer you might have to show that it is actually a PR and has no wires hooked up to it.
Back to top Go down
4greatscotts

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-07-13

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 11:53 am

Anybody heard of a veravent? Kinda like a passive, it used a breathable material instead a moving cone to manipulate the vol. in box.
Back to top Go down
Lilredtiva
Basic Contributor
Basic Contributor
Lilredtiva

Number of posts : 443
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 10:40 pm

I like the idea of using PR in a 4th order. HMMM. Thankfully Boston makes passives too.
Back to top Go down
splbasshead

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 8:49 pm

I think for high power spl aplications a (PR)'s cone would just get pushed out when the active subs are used. One of the team members from Ace's audio told me that happened to him; on his 6 subs 1 was not connected and when tested the pressure pushed the cone out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Passive Radiators for SPL?   Passive Radiators for SPL? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Passive Radiators for SPL?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: