Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
box port help  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
box port help  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
box port help  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
box port help  Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
box port help  Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
box port help  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
box port help  Vote_lcapbox port help  Voting_barbox port help  Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
records kyle state globe broken crank drive stereo songs quad world silence Johncarr disc crzyblondgrl finals pics louisiana record Audiopipe chef build 80inches 2010 contest dollar
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

box port help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mrbashful210
Above Average Contributor
mrbashful210

Number of posts : 606
Registration date : 2010-04-26

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 2:11 am

Ok not sure if this is a good idea but I want to try it. Rebuilding the box on my s10 and gunna do a sloted port but out side of the box gunna double baffle the port to get the same radius as an Aero port. The big ? Is I have 7.77 cubes b4 subs using 3 15s rd alpha Max (for now) and have room for only 6" of port. What I'm trying to find out is how many cubic inches of port do I need to have this box tuned to about 75hz.. any help would be appreciated.. if you need more info lmk thanks.
Back to top Go down
jmanjr82

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-06-24

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:17 am

Im not fulling understanding what your asking, but it sounds like you want to know the length your port needs to be to get your desired 75hz tuning, I would imagine your best bet is to look online for a port calculator. normally people do 10-12cubic in of port per cube of air space so in your case you would be looking at 77cubic in of port area, although others would argue you need 100-140 for this although we all know that crap dont matter when competition is involved. Im guessing your saying you have 6inchs of port as in like if you were using a 6inch aero? Either way by the looks of things your just going to have an opening in the box.

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

there is a calculator

Back to top Go down
mrbashful210
mrbashful210

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:07 am

I have 7.7 cubes box.. I only have 6" of port lenght to play with... say if I had an 8" Aero port I can only go up to 6" high. .. and 52"1/4 length across. .. I'm trying to find out what with would I need to have my box tuned to That frequency.... so port is 51"1/4 X 6"X ? .
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2008-11-30

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:30 am

I get what you're trying to do... sort of... but making the port 51" long isn't good for much, unless you're thinking Transmission Line. If you are, it's a simple standing wave calculation for the quarter wave length.

The size of the port calculates out to be bigger than the box, for a traditional ported box, though.

Shorten the port, and give yourself atleast 100 sq in. If you can squeeze more area in, s10 boxes typically use 200-300 sq in. Try it out, with a variety of tunings, and see what works. Most likely, the tuning will change by 1 or 2 Hz, but nothing major.
Back to top Go down
mrbashful210
mrbashful210

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:58 am

Transmission line??? I'm doing a box for spl. And want to try a Lil different.. I'm doing the basic s10 box subs forward port up. Slotted port.. but I want to try the port out side the box... to see if it gains or losses from the traditional s10 box.. now you get it? LOL Kuz if I was someone else I wouldn't! LOL
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2010-06-05

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 10:37 am

well without know sub displacement i cant give you a correct number because im sure they prolly displace at least a cu. ft. of air space if that is what it really is your port needs to be 7.25" long that is using 6.77 as your net cu ft!
Back to top Go down
mrbashful210
mrbashful210

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 12:44 pm

Each sub is .31 so .93 sub displacement total..
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2008-11-30

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 1:00 pm

mrbashful210 wrote:
Transmission line??? I'm doing a box for spl. And want to try a Lil different.. I'm doing the basic s10 box subs forward port up. Slotted port.. but I want to try the port out side the box... to see if it gains or losses from the traditional s10 box.. now you get it? LOL Kuz if I was someone else I wouldn't! LOL

HA! maybe it's still confusing... you said above that you wanted a number for your port volume 51.5" x 6" x ___"

Side-firing, that means your port length is 51.5"... which requires like 400 sq in of port to be practical.

If you meant 20" (box height) x 6" x ___" then I'd say try 2-3".

BTW, don't knock transmission lines. I've heard a few loud ones... but just not in S-10's Razz You need some serious space to rock a TL.
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 1:20 pm

chrisbaldelli wrote:
mrbashful210 wrote:

HA! maybe it's still confusing... you said above that you wanted a number for your port volume 51.5" x 6" x ___"

Side-firing, that means your port length is 51.5"... which requires like 400 sq in of port to be practical.

If you meant 20" (box height) x 6" x ___" then I'd say try 2-3".

BTW, don't knock transmission lines. I've heard a few loud ones... but just not in S-10's Razz You need some serious space to rock a TL.

i dont think you understand him he just wants the usual s10 box subs forward port up the 51.5 x 6 is his port area so he has 309 sq in of port he wants to know how long to make the port outside the box instead if inside the box which with what he has said his external port should be like 7 inches! so that is what i come up with to get you tuned to 75 hz!
Back to top Go down
mrbashful210
mrbashful210

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 1:39 pm

^^^^^^^^ yes! !! Buuuttttt.. LOL the 6" isn't the with its the Max height I can go.. you have me at 7" high and 6 is Max.... and 51" long..
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 2:16 pm

so what is the actual opening of the port? and can it be changed any? to get to 75hz it has to be 7" with those numbers a 6" came out to 78 hz
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 2:19 pm

if you do it 6" deep and 49" wide then a 6" external port will give you a tuning frequency of 75.8 thats what i can come up with with out having all the variables i made the sq in of the port smaller to accomodate for the shorter port length. does this make sense?
Back to top Go down
mrbashful210
mrbashful210

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 2:50 pm

poundstone wrote:
so what is the actual opening of the port? and can it be changed any? to get to 75hz it has to be 7" with those numbers a 6" came out to 78 hz

Yesssss its the opening of the port that I need changed... but just the port length has to be 6" ..... so it doesn't pass window line.. and 51" across sloted port(basics10) .....
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:19 pm

ok if you wanna keep the 51" across you need to make it 51"wx5.5"dx5.5"L for your port! just take a half inch off and make the port 5.5" tall and that will give you a tuning frequency of 75.66. that is what i can come up with
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:19 pm

just to make sure the 51" is the inside of the port measurement right?
Back to top Go down
mrbashful210
mrbashful210

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:23 pm

PERFECT!!!!!! YEAH ITS 51" inside. 52.5 outside. ...thanks for putting up with this grand design LOL... ill post how I did with it in bout a week...
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 3:36 pm

k no prob let me know how it turns out!
Back to top Go down
mrbashful210
mrbashful210

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitimeThu Nov 18, 2010 4:18 pm

You'll be the first to know....... thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

box port help  Empty
PostSubject: Re: box port help    box port help  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

box port help
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: HOW TO GET LOUD! :: HOW TO GET LOUD!-
Jump to: