Mobile Audio Competitors Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

THE LOUDEST SPORT ON EARTH!

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Joint Finals a success. USACI numbers down due to very remote (from USACI) location but better than expected. Results posted on web site.
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Latest topics
» STETSOM 7KD
Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2020 7:37 pm by big bass joel

» any blown stetsom 7kd or 2k6d amps for sale
Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm by big bass joel

» We need the forums back
Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeMon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm by svillarrial

» THIS OLD FORUM IS ALIVE!!!! 6/14/17
Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeFri Sep 22, 2017 11:11 pm by 80INCHES

» It's back up !
Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 7:03 pm by chrisfish

» 2 Atomic apocalypse 12s D4
Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeWed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am by supersquirt

» well hello
Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeSat Sep 26, 2015 5:46 am by TAMU

» WELLLWELLL
Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeTue Jul 14, 2015 4:24 pm by Nice

» SLAMBOREE AUG 1 & 2
Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2015 12:14 pm by Pro_Mom

Top posters
sanman
Dimpled Precision Ports Vote_lcapDimpled Precision Ports Voting_barDimpled Precision Ports Vote_rcap 
The_Rowlands
Dimpled Precision Ports Vote_lcapDimpled Precision Ports Voting_barDimpled Precision Ports Vote_rcap 
chrisfish
Stingraysevenout
scionsoloxb
TECH114
Alan
supadave
Moparbass28
Navi
Statistics
We have 1855 registered users
The newest registered user is Farenheit

Our users have posted a total of 222582 messages in 12665 subjects
Keywords
record pics disc Johncarr state silence crank quad kyle world broken 80inches 2010 louisiana records contest build dollar globe drive Audiopipe crzyblondgrl stereo songs finals chef
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of United States Autosound Competition International on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Mobile Audio Competitors Organization on your social bookmarking website

Dimpled Precision Ports

Go down 
+3
The_Rowlands
Alan
chrisbaldelli
7 posters
AuthorMessage
chrisbaldelli
Above Average Contributor
chrisbaldelli

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Dimpled Precision Ports Empty
PostSubject: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Do Dimpled Precision Ports show any real increase in performance?

According to some reputable fluid dynamics researchers, dimples placed in the first 5-10% of an air flow obstruction CAN extend laminar flow regions (less turbulence). Specifically, Texas A&M has a few profs that are VERY well funded by NASA/various government and military sources.

Theoretically, dimples placed at very specific locations will nucleate small, well-organized vorteces that stay separated, and never grow to turbulent flow. In normal "smooth" wall flow, randomly generated vorteces will usually build up to turbulent flow, even at speeds well below the speed of sound (port noise speed).

These small vorteces give naturally occuring flow imperfections a place to go. Flow won't be perfectly linear, but it's well organized and laminar for up to 60% of the flow surface (big improvement). That corresponds to a decrease in friction of ~20% (also a big deal).

Does air plane tech apply to subwoofer tech?

Pic of DPP:
Dimpled Precision Ports PSP-4DOFH
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

Number of posts : 3897
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 5:44 pm

well you know how to find out. if they are making the ports that way then they problem assume they work lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 5:56 pm

i was hoping no one else would notice these are out as im going back to boxes with aero ports next year
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 6:00 pm

i bet its .3 or less if it changes.
Back to top Go down
The_Rowlands
I own this joint!
I own this joint!
The_Rowlands

Number of posts : 7398
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 6:21 pm

ive alway wanted to try a whole box like that.... hell thats why golf balls are made like that better air flow
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 6:27 pm

kickercrx wrote:
i was hoping no one else would notice these are out as im going back to boxes with aero ports next year

*accepts the shame*

Alan, do you know if anyone has atleast qualitatively verified if the effect is positive or negative, compared to normal aeros?

I know it reduces the joy of experimenting, but I'd rather not spend college loan $$$ that taught me the fluid mechanics. Shocked

@ Rowlands, it's probably a waste to dimple the whole box. Anywhere that has a high-Reynolds Number flow (near speed of sound) can benefit from controlling the turbulent transition. Box walls should be silky smooth, but corners and edges (as you know) are places where rounding/45's are many times worth the effort. If you can organize the flow and prevent turbulence, a box "should" be more efficeint.
Back to top Go down
supadave
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
supadave

Number of posts : 3745
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 8:52 pm

Never saw the aero port design but I have seen the slot port one an wasn't gonna say anything till tested an proven. Good luck though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 pm

Alan wrote:
i bet its .3 or less if it changes.

i have lost by .3 or less before lolololol

anywho, we thought of this before, not ports, but boxes, heck whole cars, but that'd be way to time consuming, heck we even layed alum foil and resin the cargo area floor of a crx hoping it'd be more slick or whatever, that didnt gain anything
Back to top Go down
TaylorFade
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2010-04-05

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 1:22 am

From what I have read, this phenomenon only occurs at a very narrow range of air speeds (such as golf ball speed). I have no idea what port velocities are, but if they are in the region of golf ball speeds (100-200mph), then they should certainly help. Of course, that theory took a hit when Mythbusters showed an increase in mpg when they dimpled a whole car, so it could be effective at lower velocities, but if it were effective at higher speeds, then I can guarantee we would see fighter planes with dimpled skin. You would probably need the entire port to be dimpled to really see any gains though and not just the flares.

But wth do I know?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 1:29 am

what i gather from what chris is saying is that enclosure walls and the inside of the port has no where near the pressure as the bottle neck created at the opening .. where the dimples are much more effective.. correct?
Back to top Go down
TaylorFade
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 1:34 am

I hear ya, but what's the point of speeding it up with dimples only to slow it down and disrput the laminar flow when it hits the smooth skin of the tube? Could be a zero (or negative) sum gain if the entire port isn't consistant.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Thats a Lot of Posts!
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 1:41 am

makes sence.. i dunno.. lol
Back to top Go down
TaylorFade
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 1:48 am

I'm all about testing. I'll order some and let you guys know.

Or will I Smile
Back to top Go down
strpperpolef150
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
strpperpolef150

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2010-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 1:40 pm

If they had a 6" dimpled I'd buy it to test. Can't fit two 4s though
Back to top Go down
poundstone
Advanced Contributor
Advanced Contributor
poundstone

Number of posts : 1900
Registration date : 2010-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 2:16 pm

so how much are they and where do you get them? if they arent that expensive ill get some and see what difference there is between these and the regular ones!!!
Back to top Go down
chrisbaldelli
chrisbaldelli

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 2:32 pm

On a similar topic, FastSkinz is a "golf ball" style vehicle wrap, which claims 15-20% fuel economy savings... which was debunked by Popular Mechanics.
Link!

The FastSkinz marketing is pretty lame, citing theory that you learn in the first week of Fluids class... but it does reinforce the idea that strategic placement of items that will "trip the turbulent boundary layer" may offer some reduction in drag.

The problem with FastSkins is that they air flowing around the car is not moving that fast... 50-70 mph + wind speed. Tiger Woods has golf ball speeds reaching 180-200 mph + wind speed. The skin friction on a golf ball is MUCH higher than a car. As Ford notes in the PM article liked above, the primary drag mechanism for cars is vehicle shape.

Port velocities can get fast, something less than sonic flow (760 mph) if you restrict the port area too much... but it won't see those speeds in monster walls. So, to maximize port efficiency, you have two choices, use plenty of port area and smooth the transitions (corners, edges, port walls)... Think S-10 box. Or in "restricted flow" conditions, you also need to prevent widespread turbulence (energy loss)... like what aero ports do for CRX or SUV boxes.
Back to top Go down
strpperpolef150
Novice Contributor
Novice Contributor
strpperpolef150

Number of posts : 206
Registration date : 2010-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitimeSun Sep 12, 2010 9:44 pm

TaylorFade wrote:
I'm all about testing. I'll order some and let you guys know.

Or will I Smile

I know a certain mini vehicle we can try them in...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dimpled Precision Ports   Dimpled Precision Ports Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dimpled Precision Ports
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mobile Audio Competitors Organization :: GENERAL DISCUSSION :: General Discussion :: GENERAL SOUND COMPETITION DISCUSSION-
Jump to: